Pål Jensen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Regardless, the dataimprinting emitter is located where the film comes
>out of its casette. This means that the area of the film being exposed
>has already moved past the sensor. Hence, the only way to pair up the
>data and the frame exposed is during rewind when the film goes back
>into the casette.

I just checked my MZ-S and the data imprinting emitter is not where the film
comes out of the cassette, it's on the other side right next to the take-up
spool. (The time/date imprinting emitters are on the cassette side, though, but
mounted behing the film pressure plate.) So it's at least *possible* that it
could do imprinting during winding, rather than rewinding. I'll check it out
with the next roll I shoot.

>Also, I strongly suspect that printing on wind would be practically impossible.
>The MZ-S dataimprinting system works by having a Sprockett-hole detecting device
>which detects that each of the sprocket holes passes a predetermined position,
>and having a film moving amount detector. The latter works according to Pentax
>by measuring the space between the end of the trailing edge of the last frame
>to the END OF THE FILM. The end of the film is the reference and can of course
>only be determined when the camera reaches it or when the film rewind is started.

Wouldn't that mean you couldn't get exposure data imprinting when you only shoot
part of a roll of film?

--
Mark Roberts
www.robertstech.com