On 22 Dec 2001 at 22:42, Pål Jensen wrote: > Sorry, but this has been tested by
others proving that when the film is NOT
> rewounded theres no data printed. In addition, other test also prove that the
> film is printed on rewind. Pentax litterature says where the emitter is and it
> is positioned in a way that it could only imprint on rewind. It is located
> beside the lower, right corner of the pressure plate. I don't know what happened
> oin your case but can you please try to explain how your MZ-S actually do the
> imprinting?

Second time lucky?

The gold pins are the electronic contacts between the data back and the body.

The imprinting device for placing date information on the film is located
behind the pressure plate and inside the exposed film area.

The IR sprocket hole sensor assembly is located at the top right (when looking
at the body from the rear, prism pointing up) at the elevation of the sprocket
holes.

The imprinting device for film exposure data is located at the bottom right
(when looking at the open rear door from the rear of the camera, prism pointing
up) of the pressure plate on the rear door. This places it adjacent to the film
supply spool when the back is closed. Therefore the data must be printed on
rewind otherwise the camera would need to back up the film then advance to
write the data. Unless of course the camera pre-advanced the film and the
exposure sequence was in effect reversed.

So Pål's explanation seems to correlate with the physical lay-out of the camera
and Bill's results are a total mystery?

Cheers,

Rob Studdert
HURSTVILLE AUSTRALIA