On Sat, Feb 06, 2010 at 06:52:03PM -0500, Adam Maas wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 6, 2010 at 3:47 PM, AlunFoto <alunf...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > 2010/2/6 Stan Halpin <s...@stans-photography.info>:
> >> Among other Apple laptops I have performed surgery on, I have swapped out
> >> the hard drive on a white iMac G3. Talk about an integrated system not
> >> designed for user upgrade! But iFixIt is a godsend, and the procedure can
> >> be
> >> done even by a semi-klutz like me. The most nervous I have ever been doing
> >> such upgrades was in upgrading my Mac+ from 1 to 4mb of RAM. The upgrade
> >> required cutting two wires that served as jumpers on the circuit board,
> >> and I
> >> rechecked the directions 10-15 times before I made the cuts!
> >>
> >> stan
> >
> > Hardly a consolation, I guess, but I don't think other PC makers are
> > much better than Apple in this respect... We bought a series of about
> > 100 Fujitsu-Siemens desktop computers at work one year, which need
> > about 30 minutes of effort each, just to upgrade the RAM... :-(
> >
> > Jostein
> >

> Both HP and IBM/Lenovo are. Drop a panel, pull the drive/RAM, swap in
> the replacements. IBM's Thinkpads have had the same basic easy HDD
> swap design since the early 90's.
>
> Of course, both are major corporate suppliers. That seems to be an
> indicator for ease of servicability in my experience.
>
> -Adam

In all fairness, too, the original complaint was about older desktop
computers, where you often had to remove half a dozen screws just to
take off the outer shell (although HP got that down to a couple of
hand-operable turnscrews fairly on in the process).

My HP notebooks generally require maybe one screw to remove either
the access panel or the drive assembly, so replacing or upgrading
the RAM, hard drive(s) or optical drive is a simple end-user task.