BODY { font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:12px; }
 Gene - I would agree with your D.H. Lawrence quote. And as I often
quote from Peirce,

        "Thought is not necessarily connected with a brain. It appears in
the work of bees, of crystals, and throughout the purely physical
world" 4.551.

        That's a beautiful quote from Lawrence - and says in a broad sense
what I feel and think as well. But - I call that atheism!

 This message is virus free, protected by Primus - Canada's
 largest alternative telecommunications provider.
 http://www.primus.ca
 On Sat 08/04/17  7:03 PM , Eugene Halton eugene.w.halto...@nd.edu
sent:
        Dear Edwina,

        Thanks, but it was not so perfectly. The last Peirce phrase should
be “reasonableness energizing in the world.”

        Not “universe.”

        I’m glad you thought my words expressed what you were trying to
say, given that I am not an atheist, perhaps something closer to a
“religious atheist,” though that doesn't quite get it either. I
find D.H. Lawrence gets closer to it, the idea of "immersed in
creation,"from his 1924 description of attending an Apache ritual:

                    “There is, in our sense of the word, no God. But all
is godly. There is no Great Mind directing the universe. Yet the
mystery of creation, the wonder and fascination of creation shimmers
in every leaf and stone, in every thorn and bud, in the fangs of the
rattle-snake, and in the soft eyes of the fawn. Things utterly
opposite are still pure wonder of creation, the yell of the mountain
lion, and the breeze in the aspen leaves....There is no God looking
on. The only god there is, is involved all the time in the dramatic
wonder and inconsistency of creation. God is immersed, as it were, in
creation, not to be separated or distinguished. There can be no Ideal
God....”

                    Gene