Edwina, I think that what you call atheism, some people call “religious
naturalism” — a more positive expression of the “wonder of creation.”

https://religiousnaturalism.org/

gary f.

From: Edwina Taborsky [mailto:tabor...@primus.ca]
Sent: 8-Apr-17 19:37
To: Peirce List <peirce-l@list.iupui.edu>; Eugene Halton
<eugene.w.halto...@nd.edu>
Subject: Re: Fwd: Re: RE: RE: [PEIRCE-L] Laws of Nature as Signs

Gene - I would agree with your D.H. Lawrence quote. And as I often quote from
Peirce,

"Thought is not necessarily connected with a brain. It appears in the work of
bees, of crystals, and throughout the purely physical world" 4.551.

That's a beautiful quote from Lawrence - and says in a broad sense what I feel
and think as well. But - I call that atheism!

This message is virus free, protected by Primus - Canada's
largest alternative telecommunications provider.

http://www.primus.ca

On Sat 08/04/17 7:03 PM , Eugene Halton  <mailto:eugene.w.halto...@nd.edu>
eugene.w.halto...@nd.edu sent:

Dear Edwina,

Thanks, but it was not so perfectly. The last Peirce phrase should be
“reasonableness energizing in the world.”

Not “universe.”

I’m glad you thought my words expressed what you were trying to say, given that
I am not an atheist, perhaps something closer to a “religious atheist,” though
that doesn't quite get it either. I find D.H. Lawrence gets closer to it, the
idea of "immersed in creation,"from his 1924 description of attending an Apache
ritual:

            “There is, in our sense of the word, no God. But all is godly.
There is no Great Mind directing the universe. Yet the mystery of creation, the
wonder and fascination of creation shimmers in every leaf and stone, in every
thorn and bud, in the fangs of the rattle-snake, and in the soft eyes of the
fawn. Things utterly opposite are still pure wonder of creation, the yell of
the mountain lion, and the breeze in the aspen leaves....There is no God
looking on. The only god there is, is involved all the time in the dramatic
wonder and inconsistency of creation. God is immersed, as it were, in creation,
not to be separated or distinguished. There can be no Ideal God....”

            Gene