}Jon - that's a specious attempt to revisit this argument - i.e.,
your saying that 'some people might not have heard this debate
before'. Well, tough, frankly it's not worth hearing about - and -
I'm not going to revisit it with you.

        I disagree that existence is a subset of reality, for that implies
that both have the same qualities. An existence/ entity can exist
within only the mode of Secondness and thus, have no generality in
it, but reality requires generality.  I disagree that 'some THING'
can be real yet not exist'. If it's a 'thing' then it exists. Reality
is Thirdness, or generality and is not a thing.

        And we've been over your rejection of the Sign as a triad of
Object-Representamen-Interpretant and your confining of the term
'Sign' to refer only to the mediate Representamen. Again, read 4.551
to its end.

        There is no positive point in continuing this discussion since it's
been done to exhaustion before.

        Edwina
 On Mon 16/10/17  1:02 PM , Jon Alan Schmidt jonalanschm...@gmail.com
sent:
 Edwina, List:
 I know that we have been over this ground before, and I am not
interested in repeating our past discussions, but there may be some
following along now who were not on the List back then.
 Especially late in his life, Peirce carefully distinguished reality
from existence, treating the latter as a subset of the former.
Everything that exists is real, but something can be real yet not
exist--and this is precisely the case with all generals in themselves
(not their instantiations), as well as some possibilities that have
not been (and may never be) actualized.
 Likewise, anything that is general is (by definition) not
particular.  If all Signs are particulars, then (by definition) no
Signs are generals.
 Regards,
 Jon