Edwina, List:

I fought for the definition of the Sign as a triad of IO-R-II because I
hoped for a while that it might eventually be possible, on that basis, to
reconcile our two different models of semiosis.  It became evident a few
months ago that this is not the case, since we still cannot even agree on
how Peirce defined "Representamen."  Consequently, I took a closer look at
his usage and came to realize what I stated below--in 1903, a Sign was a
Representamen with a mental interpretant; but by 1905, the two terms were
basically synonymous and interchangeable.  More to the point, nowhere in
Peirce's writings did he present the Representamen as a *component *of the
Sign.  Therefore, in accordance with Peirce's ethics of terminology, if one
wishes to treat the Sign as a triad that includes the IO, the II, and
whatever is left over after those are "removed," one must come up with a
new name for the latter; Peirce never called it a "Representamen," or
anything else as far as I can tell.

Regards,

Jon S.