Auke> I was thinking in terms of goals, i.e. what is the object you
try to understand, not credentials.  I can connect Jon's answer to my
question with his line of reasoning and I did like that.  There might
be differences in the goals and then it is always better to asses and
value the differences, instead of fighting about who is right.

I have been doing research and teaching in logic, computer science,
computational linguistics, and artificial intelligence for many
years.  In 1976, I had published an article on Conceptual Graphs in
the IBM Journal of Research and Development.

Then in 1978, I
came across Don Roberts' book on EGs, and it was
exactly what I was
looking for.  Peirce's EGs were far more elegant
and powerful than
the AI research in the 1970s.  (including my own).
I immediatetly
adopted it as the foundation for the book I published
in 1984.  I
continued reading Peirce's other writings and various
publications
about Peirce since then.

Then in 2001, I came across Michel
Balat's transcription of a first
draft of L231 (mistakenly classified
as R514).  I realized that it
was an excellent introduction to EGs,
and I posted a copy with
commentary on my web site:
http://jfsowa.com/peirce/ms514.htm .

I also realized that this
version was far superior to Peirce's
earlier versions.  In
particular, I used it to solve a previously
unsolved research problem
from 1988.  I published the solution in
Semiotca in 2011:
http://jfsowa.com/pubs/egtut.pdf .

In April 2015, I presented a
lecture on related issues at a Peirce
Session at the APA conference
in Vancouver.  In December of 2015, I
presented an extended version
at a workshop that Zalamea sponsored in
Bogota.  And in 2018, I
publishted a 76-page version that spelled out
all the details.

The following slides are minor revisions of the 2015 version:
http://jfsowa.com/talks/ppe.pdf . Slide 2 has a link to the 2018
publication in the Journal of Applied Logics.

The workshop in
Bogota included leading experts in existential
graphs.  Nobody raised
any objection or even any comment about my
use of the 1911 version of
EGs.  For mathematicians and logicians,
clarity and precision are
essential.  The formal structure is
everything, and the words are of
minor interest.  The fewer, the
better.

As for Jon's
comments about earlier versions, any quotations prior
to June 1911
are irrelevant.  But I found Jon's comments useful for
pointing out
issues that I decided to restate more clearly.