Robert,
Thanks for finding that quotation:
> Thought is
a thread of melody running through the succession of our sensations” (CP
5.395)
Now that you mention it, I recall reading that some
time ago.  It must have been lurking somewhere in my mind, but well
beneath the conscious level.
In any case, it's very appropriate.
The connection to sensations emphasizes the relation to Bill's term
"embodied experience".
It is also related to my point that
the total context is more important than particular words. That doesn't
mean that words are irrelevant, but they can be highly misleading when
taken out of context.