Gary R,
My remarks were ad rem, not ad hominem.  Mathematics is
like music.  A mathematician or a musician thinks only in terms of the
patterns, the operations on those patterns, and their relationship to
whatever notation is used to represent them.
 The words used to
describe those patterns are useful for communication among teachers,
students, and critics.  But those words are absent from the minds of the
artists (musical or mathematical) who are imagining and creating novel
patterns.
Peirce was a great mathematical/logical artist.  In June
1911, he had a new insight into the melodies of logic.  Any logician can
"hear" an exciting new melody in R670 and L231 that was not
present in R669 or the Monist article of 1906.  Peirce didn't have to
write a "note to self" about the change.  He just did it.  And
any logician can "hear" it.
But I realize that many people
can't feel or hear the difference.  I plan to post the 1906 version and
the 1911 version on my web site, and I'll point out exactly where the
differences occur and their implications.
I'll post that in the next
two days.  And I won't refer to any other person's comments or opinions on
the subject.
Meanwhile, I recommend the following slides and their
quotations of mathematicians, logicians, and linguists about their
subject:  http://jfsowa.com/talks/ppe.pdf .  The application of Peirce's
EGs to Euclidean diagrams is easy with the 1911 EGs, but not with the
earlier versions.  That application is one of the strongest arguments in
support of Peirce's claim that EGs represent "the action of the mind
in thought."