Auke, List, All:

AvB: For him [Peirce], as far as I understood his thought, the formal
structure is not everything. It only is "the formal structure as it
operates in a living intelligence". It did not prevent him from focussing
exclusively on the formal structure, as his formal work shows. But he was
aware of the limitations. You [JFS] seem to be less so.

Indeed, John seems to view all these matters almost exclusively through the
lens of mathematical/formal logic. I brought up the necessary role of "a
living intelligence" myself a few weeks ago because those are Peirce's last
three words in R 669.

CSP: The few examples that shall forthwith be given might tempt a lively
mind to exclaim: Why, this syntax draws conclusions of itself,
automatically. This would be extravagant; but one may say that the Syntax
together with the application of the two illative permissions does so,
provided it be not overlooked that such application can only be made by a
living intelligence. (R 669:23-24[21-22], LF 1:584, 1911)

According to his own testimony below, John has a strong interest in
*artificial *intelligence, which helps to explain his personal opinion that
"the 1911 version" of EGs is "best"--it facilitates more efficient proof
procedures in classical logic, thus lending itself to "automated
reasoning." That is presumably why he dismisses R 669, along with anything
else that Peirce wrote about EGs before June 1911, where over and over he
makes it clear that this was *not *his primary purpose in developing them.

AvB: I think that this quote [CP 1.384, 1887-8] backs up Jon's approach
from a systematic perspective. Systematic here to be taken in the
philosophical sense, not the logical.

I agree; again, my own purposes are primarily philosophical, so *everything
*that Peirce wrote about logic and EGs is potentially relevant.

Structural Engineer, Synechist Philosopher, Lutheran Christian