Hmm. You seem to be defining 'thinking' as only an act of abstract
intellectual analysis.

        But Peircean 'thinking' includes non-analytic feeling [Firstness] as
well as direct physical experience [Secondness] and also, that
abstract analytic process [Thirdness].

        Edwina
 On Sat 30/01/21  2:20 PM , "Brooks, William F" w-bro...@illinois.edu
sent:
    Hello, everyone,
  There seems to be a lot of crossfire here. Perhaps I can create a
diversionary skirmish . . .
  "A mathematician or a musician thinks only in terms of the
patterns, the operations on those patterns, and their relationship to
whatever notation is used to represent them.”
  Okay, well, first-person accounts are suspect, one can’t
generalise, etc., etc.
  But.
  I have been a musician for seventy years, and I was a serious
mathematician until age twenty. (I graduated with a double degree.) I
can assure you that I don’t think “only in terms of the patterns .
. .” In fact, in my most treasured musical experiences—and  I’d
venture to say the same for mathematics—I barely “think” at
all. It’s an embodied understanding: I “feel” what I
apprehend—and only after the fact, with a great sense of loss, do I
“think” about it. And when I do “think” I mostly struggle to
find some  faint simulacrum of my experience. Sometimes that might
involve patterns; sometimes I might draw pictures or notes or words;
sometimes I simply get up from the desk and pace, wave my arms, sing
a little. (Except for the singing, the same definitely goes for
mathematics.)
  Now, I don’t know nearly enough about Peirce. But what little I
do know suggests that he was a very physical person, with appetites,
passions, and bodily understandings. How did he apprehend
mathematics, or logic, or—for that matter—music? In  what ways
can we, should we, be informed by our conclusions about the nature of
his apprehension?
  And what has any of this to do with silence? Or the absence of
logic?
  Bill
 William Brooks
 w-bro...@illinois.edu [1]
 Emeritus Professor of Music
 University of Illinois
 Urbana, IL 61801
 United States
 (+1-217-417-4165)
 William Brooks
 w.f.bro...@york.ac.uk
 Professor of Music
 University of York
 Heslington, York YO10 5DD
 United Kingdom
 (+44-1904-324449)
 William Brooks
 Senior Research Fellow and Series Editor
 Orpheus Institute, Ghent, Belgium
 william.bro...@orpheusinstituut.be
 Take care of things. And people.