John, List, All:

JFS: Any logician can "hear" an exciting new melody in R670 and L231 that
was not present in R669 or the Monist article of 1906.  Peirce didn't have
to write a "note to self" about the change.  He just did it.  And any
logician can "hear" it.
But I realize that many people can't feel or hear the difference.

This conveniently establishes a position that is effectively unfalsifiable.
The fact that Peirce never explicitly rejects his earlier writings about
EGs is deemed irrelevant, because "any logician" can simply "hear" the "new
melody" that he supposedly composed in June 1911. Anyone who cannot
likewise "feel or hear" it is apparently *not *a logician and should be
ignored accordingly. Descriptive words are ultimately inadequate since one
must allegedly perceive the patterns directly.

As I have pointed out before, in his late 1911 letters to Robert (RL 378)
and Risteen (RL 376), Peirce does not criticize the *patterns *of the 1906
EGs; he only criticizes his *description *of them at that time in
"Prolegomena," which uses lots and lots of words. He now recognizes that
shading is a much better alternative to thin oval lines for distinguishing
oddly enclosed areas from evenly enclosed areas, and that it is sufficient
in Gamma EGs for shaded/unshaded areas to represent the universes of
possibility/actuality rather than having multiple tinctures corresponding
to different kinds of each, along with the third modality of intentions. He
further simplifies his presentation of EGs for the uninitiated, including
these two men along with the National Academy of Sciences (R 670) and
Kehler (RL 231), by omitting the derivation of negation from consequence
and treating it as a primitive instead, even though this is
"philosophically inaccurate" (Bellucci and Pietarinen).

We really should be able to agree about all this. We should also then be
able agree that for many *practical *purposes, such as teaching classical
logic or using it to prove theorems, negation ovals are the "best" choice
for a third primitive along with the blank sheet and line of identity;
while for many *philosophical *purposes, such as studying logic more deeply
including non-classical alternatives, implication scrolls are the "best"
choice instead. Why be unreasonably adamant that one is superior to the
other for any and every conceivable purpose?

Structural Engineer, Synechist Philosopher, Lutheran Christian