John, List:

JFS: 1. A hump is a mark of a camel. 2. A trunk is a mark of an elephant.

Thanks for demonstrating once again that the common meaning and usage of
"mark" today render it a terrible alternative for "tone" as the possible
counterpart of existent "token" and necessitant "type." Any word that
properly fills the blank in "A hump is a ___ of a camel" and "A trunk is a
___ of an elephant" is *utterly inconsistent* with how Peirce variously
defines the first member of the trichotomy for classifying a sign according
to its own mode of being/presentation/apprehension.

JFS: The word 'tone' was confusing to Peirce's readers, and it is confusing
to our readers today. It has no redeeming social or academic value
whatsoever. Get rid of it.

There is a stark contrast between such severe (and unwarranted)
condemnation of "tone" and what Gary and I have repeatedly said about
"mark"--anyone is welcome to attempt making a case that it is a better
choice than "tone," even though we strongly disagree and no one can
accurately claim that it was *Peirce's *final and definitive choice.

JFS: The last note on the thread (Mark Token Type):

The message reproduced below with this label was never sent to the List.
Peirce's 1911 remark about EGs as quoted at the bottom is clearly
describing instances of *general *types, not embodiments of *indefinite *tones,
notwithstanding his odd use of "might be" instead of "would be" for 3ns or
"may be" for 1ns as usual. In fact, he is simply reiterating what he had
already said about EGs several years earlier--"The term (Existential) *Graph
*will be taken in the sense of a Type; and the act of embodying it in a
*Graph-Instance* will be termed *scribing *the Graph (not the Instance),
whether the Instance be written, drawn, or incised" (CP 4.537, 1906). He
also elaborated on this published statement in a contemporaneous manuscript.

CSP: It is necessary to recognize the facile distinction between a graph
and a graph-instance. A graph-instance is a *token*, that is, is an
existent individual object, which signifies a proposition. It can never be
duplicated. Although I duplicate it, and the duplicate will be a
graph-instance of the same signification in all respects, but it will not
be that individual graph-instance of which it is the precise copy. I
*scribe*, that is, write or draw, a sign meaning Tully was Cicero. I
duplicate it precisely. The new sign will be substantially the same. It
will only differ so much as is necessary to make it a second scribing of
precisely the same type. But it will not be the same graph-instance. A
*graph*, on the other hand, is a type. ... An *instance *of a graph is a
Token. The distinction between a Graph and a Graph-instance has a certain
importance. (R 498, 1906)

In summary, as I have said before, every explicitly scribed EG is an
instance (token) of a type. Likewise, the additional example of "camel" is
one that Peirce had given previously.

CSP: A Rhematic Symbol or Symbolic Rheme is a sign connected with its
Object by an association of general ideas in such a way that its Replica
calls up an image in the mind which image, owing to certain habits or
dispositions of that mind, tends to produce a general concept, and the
Replica is interpreted as a Sign of an Object that is an instance of that
concept. Thus, the Rhematic Symbol either is, or is very like, what the
logicians call a General Term. The Rhematic Symbol, like any Symbol, is
necessarily itself of the nature of a general type, and is thus a Legisign.
Its Replica, however, is a Rhematic Indexical Sinsign of a peculiar kind,
in that the image it suggests to the mind acts upon a Symbol already in
that mind to give rise to a General Concept. A Replica of the word "camel"
is likewise a Rhematic Indexical Sinsign, being really affected, through
the knowledge of camels, common to the speaker and auditor, by the real
camel it denotes, even if this one is not individually known to the
auditor; and it is through such real connection that the word "camel" calls
up the idea of a camel. (CP 2.261, EP 2:295, 1903)

The word "camel" is a rhematic symbol--i.e., a term--and therefore a type,
not a tone. Accordingly, it "signifies through an instance of its
application, which may be termed a *Replica *of it" (CP 2.246, EP 2:291),
and each such token *involves *tones--"camel," "CAMEL," "*camel*," "*camel*,"
and "camel" are all instances of the same type but have different tones
that may affect their dynamical interpretants in certain contexts.
Similarly, an EG is a *dicent *symbol--i.e., a proposition--and therefore a
type that signifies through its instances (tokens), although its only tones
are the heaviness of any lines of identity and the shading of any oddly
enclosed areas. These are indefinite in the sense that no *specific *shape,
thickness, or color is prescribed for them, although Peirce suggests in one
manuscript that the colors of names and lines of identity *could *be
utilized as tones to distinguish hypostatic abstractions from determinate
individuals.

CSP: The difficulty of representing a hypostatic abstraction in existential
graphs (which I trust may be conquered eventually) is that what suggests
itself is to distinguish individuals regarded as determinate in every
respect, so that the principle of excluded middle applies to them, by (for
example) using a different colored ink say red from that say blue used in
scribing predicates such as ‘is wise’. But then the dot which denotes
‘something,’ should be red while the continuous line which has a dot at
every part of it should be blue. Perhaps the remedy would be to make this
line *purple*.

Solomon*---*is wise

But when the operation of hypostatic abstraction is performed, the
proposition takes the form 'Solomon *possesses wisdom*' or 'Solomon is
possessor of wisdom.' I must interpose a special dyadic relative between
two parts of the line, as well as changing the color of 'is wise'. (R
96:11-12, LF 1:513n6, 1905)

On the other hand, the overall *size *of an EG is *not *a tone, because it
is not *significant*--it has no effect on the *meaning *of the EG.

JFS: This note answers every question, objection, and alternative that
anybody has written in all the notes on this subject.

Again, there is a stark contrast between such a forceful (and overreaching)
pronouncement with what Gary and I have repeatedly said about our
discussion of this topic--readers can and should evaluate the arguments on
both sides for themselves, and then make up their own minds.

Structural Engineer, Synechist Philosopher, Lutheran Christian
www.LinkedIn.com/in/JonAlanSchmidt / twitter.com/JonAlanSchmidt