John, List:

JFS: The word 'instance' is an OPTIONAL term that may be added to almost
any noun in the English language.

In general, this is true; but Peirce clearly and repeatedly states that it
is important (if not mandatory) to recognize and maintain the distinction
between a "graph" as a type and a "graph-instance" as a token, and
sometimes he also advocates doing the same with "word" and
"word-instance." In case anyone is somehow still in doubt about this, here
are several additional relevant passages from his writings, most of which
will appear in the forthcoming volume 3/1 of *Logic of the Future*. The
first one also confirms that "instance" directly replaces "replica" as used
in his earlier writings and gives the reason why. The third one is clearly
a draft of CP 4.537 and includes yet another alternative for the name of
the other (possible) member of the trichotomy for the nature of the sign
itself, "phantasm," which Peirce evidently considered but promptly
discarded.

CSP: But by a *graph* in this system is meant, a type of a sign which
according to the conventions of this system would express a proposition,
this type being determinate in all its significant features that are
internal, that is regardless of its concomitants, but being indeterminate
in all features which are in themselves insignificant. An individual
existing embodiment of such a type is called a *graph-instance*, or a[n]
*instance* of a graph. I formerly called it a *replica*, forgetting that
Mr. Kempe, in his Memoir on Mathematical Forms, §170, had already preempted
this word as a technical term relating to graphs, and that in a highly
appropriate sense, while my sense was not at all appropriate. I therefore
am glad to abandon this term. (R 1589:4-5, LF 2:171, 1904)

CSP: Any sign scribed on this system (which by the way is called the System
of *Existential Graphs*) ... and which expresses an assertion is called
*graph*, or, more accurately, an *existential graph*, whether it is
disconnected or joined to other graphs. The term graph is taken in the
sense of a type; and that which is actually on the paper is a
*graph-instance*. But the word "scribe" is taken in such a sense that to
put a graph-instance on any area is accurately described as "scribing the
graph" of which it is an instance on the same area. (R 292:56[30], LF 3,
1906)

CSP: By a *graph* (a word which has been overworked of late years) I, for
my part, following its introducers, Clifford and Sylvester, confine to a
diagram principally composed of spots and of lines connecting these spots.
But in the system I am about to describe, I give the word a special
meaning; and in order to explain this, I will begin by proposing a division
of all signs according to their mode of being as objects simply, regardless
of their significations. Dr. Edward Eggleston introduced a simple mode of
expressing the quantity of matter for the press contained in any manuscript
by counting the words. There will usually be found on an ordinary small
octavo page a little over twenty *the*s, on the average. These, of course,
Dr. Eggleston would count as twenty words or more. But in a different
sense, there is but *one* word in the English language which is used as a
definite article, and this word is no more printed than it is pronounced.
In a literal sense, it *cannot* be printed nor pronounced; it can only
govern and determine what is printed or pronounced. Its being consists in
its so governing existents, while it does not itself exist. I term such a
sign a *Type*. A sign which is either a single event happening once and
only once, or which is an existent single thing or single collection which
at one time can exist only in one place, and can *never* be in another,
unless by a continuous motion thither, I call a *Token*. For the vernacular
meaning of *token* is as near this meaning as a vernacular word can be
expected to approach in meaning to a term of philosophy. Other languages
might conveniently borrow the English word for the purpose. But a sign may
be neither a Type (which is a sort of intention or element of habit) nor a
Token. It may be a mere *Phantasm*, or appearance. This is the division of
signs which I now propose: *Type*, *Token*, *Phantasm*. In order that a
Type, such as the word *the*, should be employed, a *Token* that represents
it must be spoken or written; and I propose to call a *Token* that is
employed as representing a given *Type*, an *Instance* of that Type. I
would also propose to continue, as we now do, to use the words *write*,
*pronounce*, and the like, in such a sense that, when we put an Instance of
a Type into existence on paper or invoice, we may properly speak of writing
or pronouncing the Type. But since *Existential Graphs*, which are Types,
are partly written and partly rather drawn, and partly, indeed, conceived
as cut out with a penknife, I will use the term "scribe a graph" to mean
give individual existence to a Graph-instance. (R 292b, LF 3, 1906)

CSP: A proposition as expressed according to the conventions of the System
of Existential Graphs is called a *Graph* which is an abbreviation for
existential graph. What we thus place upon the sheet is necessarily a
graph-instance and not a graph. For it would be as inaccurate and absurd to
speak of a graph as being placed on a sheet of paper as it would be to
speak of *word* being so placed. Every page of a book may have on it
*instances* of the word 'the'; but 'the,' however, is a single word, and if
it lies on any page of the book, which is that page, rather than another? A
word is not an image nor a figure. It is a general type, which *governs*
instances but is not identical with any of them; and so it is with a *graph*.
Being a type, it cannot be put in any place. Yet just as we speak of
writing a word on a sheet of paper, so we shall give the word *scribe* such
a signification that to place a graph-instance on either side of the sheet
shall be correctly described as "scribing" the graph itself of which what
is placed on the sheet is an instance on that side. (R 490:2-3, LF 3, 1906)

CSP: I must first call attention to the distinction between a Graph and a
Graph-instance, which was clearly drawn in my *Prolegomena* in the
paragraph beginning on p. 505 [CP 4.537]. I there drew attention to the two
senses of the term "word," in one of which *the* is a single one, the only
definite article in the English language, while in the other sense there
may be about 250 words on the page of an ordinary book, of which number
about 20 will usually be *the*s. The former I called a *Type*, the latter a
*Token*. ...
Now a Graph-instance is that the putting of which upon a sheet is expressed
by saying that the corresponding graph "is scribed," which is a
conventional mode of speech not intended to be analytically interpreted. In
other words, it is an improper expression used for short. For a Graph is
that one form which is embodied alike in all Graph-instances which have the
same signification expressed in essentially the same way. (R 296:14&16-17,
LF 3, 1907)

CSP: By a "*graph*" I mean *the way* in which a given assertion is scribed.
It is the general kind, not a single instance. For example there is in
English but one single "word" that serves as definite article. It is the
word "the." It will occur some twenty or more times on an average page; and
when an editor asks for an article of so many thousand "words" he means to
count each of those instances as a distinct word. He speaks loosely of
*instances* of words as words, which they are not. Now in like manner a
*graph* is one thing, and a "*graph instance*" is another thing. (NEM
3:163, 1911 Jun 22)

In summary, "scribing a graph" is synonymous with "placing a graph-instance
on the sheet." Accordingly, throughout his writings on EGs after 1903,
Peirce is fairly consistent about using "graph" when discussing general
types and "graph-instance" when referring to individual tokens. We would do
well to follow his example.

JFS: Mathematicians have been choosing brevity since Euclid, and they still
do.

Maybe so, but Peirce consistently chooses accuracy over brevity--especially
for EGs, as he says in the same letter to Kehler where the last quotation
above appears.

CSP: I wish to draw your attention, in the most emphatic way possible, to
the purpose this Syntax is intended to subserve; since anybody who did not
pay attention to that statement would be all but sure, not merely to
mistake the intention of this syntax, but to think that intention as
CONTRARY to what it really is as well he could. Namely he would suppose the
object was to reach the conclusion from given premisses with the utmost
facility and speed, while the real purpose is to dissect the reasoning into
the greatest possible number of distinct steps and so to force attention to
every requisite of the reasoning. The *supposed* purpose would be of little
consequence, and it is the business of the mathematicians to furnish
inventions to attain it; but the real purpose is to supply a real and
crying need, although logicians are so stupid as not to recognize it and to
put obstacles in the way of meeting it. (NEM 3:168)

EGs are not primarily intended to facilitate reasoning *itself *as desired
by mathematicians, but to facilitate the *study *of reasoning as desired by
logicians.

JAS: Here Peirce explicitly denies that a graph is a "mark," which he
explicitly equates with an "existent or actual individual," i.e., a
token--so "mark" is plainly unsuitable for naming a different member of the
same trichotomy.

JFS: No. In a letter to Welby, he explicitly adopted the word 'mark' as a
replacement for 'potisign' (possible sign).

Except that Peirce wrote that letter to Welby in December 1908, while in
May 1911--more than two years later--he stated plainly, "A *Graph*, then,
as the word is used when it is plain that an *Existential *Graph is meant,
is not a sign or mark or any other existent or actual individual." Hence, *this
*is his final word on the matter.

JFS: The word 'tone' is a special case of an auditory mark. ... Even for a
spoken utterance, it would not be used to distinguish differences in the
subject matter.

I could say instead that the word "mark" is a special case of a visible
tone. Either way, the role of a tone/mark in Peirce's semeiotic is not to
distinguish differences in *subject matter* (object), but to distinguish
differences in *meaning *(interpretant). Different tokens of the same type
can be uttered (spoken, printed, handwritten, etc.) with different
tones/marks as "indefinite significant characters" that change their *effects
*on interpreters.

JFS: Even for Peirce's example of a camel, the sound of a camel has been
compared to a toilet flushing. Nobody would call that a tone. But it is
certainly a prominent mark of a camel.

Again, "mark" as used here is *not *what Peirce defines as the possible
counterpart of existent "token" and necessitant "type."  His example of
"camel" has nothing to do with the *animal *that we call by that name in
English, he is talking about the *word *"camel"; and for any actual
*instance *(token) of that word, a tone/mark is a significant *quality *of
the sound when it is spoken, the typeface when it is printed, the ink when
it is handwritten, etc.

JFS: His choice of 'mark' is more consistent with his definition in
Baldwin's dictionary and other English dictionaries.

Again, "mark" as a candidate name for the possible counterpart of existent
"token" and necessitant "tone" is *not consistent at all* with Peirce's
definition of that word in Baldwin's dictionary. It is not a term that can
be predicated of anything of which certain other terms can be predicated,
it is "an indefinite significant character."

JFS: We acknowledge that the definition of the word 'mark' generally refers
to a physical instance. But any English word that refers to something
physical can also be used to refer to the abstract form of that thing.

Again, whether we choose "tone" or "mark," this term *does not* refer to
the "definitely significant Form" (type) of something physical (token), but
to "an indefinite significant character" of something physical.

Structural Engineer, Synechist Philosopher, Lutheran Christian
www.LinkedIn.com/in/JonAlanSchmidt / twitter.com/JonAlanSchmidt