Jon, List,

On that point, we are in complete agreement:

JFS: The word 'instance' is an OPTIONAL term that may be added to almost any
noun in the English language.

JAS: In general, this is true; but Peirce clearly and repeatedly states that it
is important (if not mandatory) to recognize and maintain the distinction
between a "graph" as a type and a "graph-instance" as a token, and sometimes he
also advocates doing the same with "word" and "word-instance."

Yes, indeed.  That is also the reason why we need to use exactly the same
character string with the option of adding "instance" whenever there might be
any possibility of a mistake.

As for the choice of Peirce's many character strings to adopt, see the attached
2-page extract from Tony Jappy's article and 2017 book on this subject.   That
extract contains four tables from his 2017 book, which started this lengthy
thread.

By the way, this is not an argument from authority.  This is a citation of an
expert who has done more research and publications on these issues than any of
us -- in fact, more than any any subscriber to Peirce list.  If anybody has any
doubts on this subject, please consult Tony (email address above).    Tony
prefers not to debate issues on P-list because they can become interminably
long (such as this one).  But I am sure that he would be very gracious in
answering any questions anyone may have.

Meanwhile, the issues of relating Peirce's work to the 21st C are a more
important topic for most subscribers to P-List.