John, List:

JFS: He uses exactly the same word with no change whatsoever for the
abstract "might be'' (the formal pattern of spots, lines, and ovals) and
the visible graph as it is written on a phemic sheet.

It is remarkable that someone can read a short paragraph and then seriously
claim that it says *exactly the opposite* of what it plainly says. Peirce *only
*uses the word "graph" for "a mere form, an abstraction, a 'general' or as
I call it a 'might-be'"; and he states explicitly that "it would be
incorrect to say that the graph *itself *is put upon the sheet. For that
would be an impossibility." What, then, *is *put upon the sheet? Peirce
does not give it *any *name in R L376, but in various other texts, he
repeatedly calls it a "graph-instance"; and in a published article, he
presents this as a *paradigmatic *example of the distinction between a *type
*and a *token *that is an *instance *of a type (CP 4.537, 1906). Again,
there is nothing at all in the letter to Risteen about the *other *member
of this trichotomy, whether we call it a "tone" or a "mark."

JFS: Teachers who are explaining how to draw, use, and talk about EGs call
them graphs, not graph instances.

Indeed, because what they are discussing (for the most part) are
graphs as *general
*types, not graph-instances as *individual *tokens. Peirce also
acknowledges the *convenience *of talking only about graphs (or words), not
graph-instances (or word-instances).

CSP: Any shape or combination of shapes that put on the Sheet of Assertion
would be an assertion, I term a *graph*, and your act of putting it on any
surface by writing or drawing or a mixture of the two I express by saying
that you *scribe *that sign on that *area*; and the result of doing so,
that is any single one among the inexhaustible multitude of possible
embodiments of the graph, I call a graph-instance. To illustrate the
utility of this distinction, I call your attention to the fact that we most
commonly use the word "word" with a meaning analogous to that of
"graph,"--for we say that hounds, beagles, curs, mastiffs, spaniels,
terriers, poodles, and an incredible variety of other stocks are alike
included under the *single word*, *dog*. Yet when an editor asks me to
write him a paragraph of a hundred words on some subject, he means to count
every occurrence of "the" as a separate word. He does not mean *words*, but
*word-instances*; but in this case the value of brevity outweighs that of
accuracy. In the case of graphs and graph-instances, it is quite the other
way. (R 650:10-11, LF 1:164-165, 1910 Jul 23)

Note well Peirce's last remark here--the value of accuracy in *distinguishing
*"graphs" (types) and "graph-instances" (tokens) outweighs that of brevity
in simply using "graphs" for both. For example ...

CSP: "The father g.o." [g.o. = goes out] is a *graph*, even if it is not
scribed on the sheet. For a graph is what is true or false, and its being
scribed does not make it so. Also suppose we have on the Sheet of Truth

The mother g.o. The mother g.o.

The mother g.o. The mother g.o.

Then there is only *one *graph on the sheet, but there are *four
graph-instances*. This is a very useful distinction to prevent
misunderstandings. A *graph-instance* is a single scribing according to
this System of that which must either be true or false. A *graph *is the
one *form *of all possible graph-instances which express the same meaning
in precisely the same way. Thus

The MOTHER g.o.     and     The mother goes out

are two instances of the same graph because their differences are entirely
*insignificant*, that is do not amount to different ways of expressing the
fact, but only to different ways of writing. But

The mother g.o.     and     The mother g.o. The mother g.o.

are two different graphs, though their meaning is the same. (R 514:7-8, LF
1:478-479, 1904)

Again, a graph is a *type*, "a definitely significant Form"; while a
graph-instance is a *token*, "A Single event which happens once and whose
identity is limited to that one happening or a Single object or thing which
is in some single place at any one instant of time, such event or thing
being significant only as occurring just when and where it does" (CP
4.537). Also ...

CSP: A *Graph*, then, as the word is used when it is plain that an *Existential
*Graph is meant, is not a sign or mark or any other existent or actual
individual, but is a *kind *of sign which if scribed on the Phemic Sheet
(i.e. if an *Instance *of it stood on the Sheet) would make an assertion.
The individual sign that results from the scribing of a Graph has been
called an "*Instance*" of the Graph. This word "Instance" might
conveniently be introduced into ordinary parlance. For example, only two
words in our language are called articles; but one of these, the definite
article, *the*, will commonly occur, on an average page of novel or essay,
over twenty times. They are reckoned by the editor who asks for an article
of so many thousand "words" as distinct words; but in fact they are only
twenty or more *instances *of the same word; and if the editor takes any
pleasure in speaking accurately he should call for an article of so many
thousand "word-instances." At any rate, it would be highly inconvenient to
call "Graph-instances" Graphs. (R 669:9-10, LF 1:579, 1911 May 27)

Here Peirce explicitly *denies *that a graph is a "mark," which he
explicitly *equates *with an "existent or actual individual," i.e., a
token--so "mark" is plainly unsuitable for naming a *different *member of
the same trichotomy. In any case, the bottom line is that when a graph is
scribed on the sheet, what actually stands on the sheet as a result is *not
*a graph, but a graph-instance.

GR: 1. She preferred the tone of her flute to that of the first flautist in
the orchestra. 2. Her tone of voice changed dramatically when she was
angry. Those two sentences are normal sentences that any English speaker
would understand, whether or not they had read anything by Peirce.

JFS: Yes, they are normal sentences because the word 'tone' in these
examples is used to refer to the actual sound that is heard, not to some
mark that might distinguish one tone of voice from another.

No, the word "tone" in Gary's examples is used to refer to a certain *quality
*of the actual sound that is heard, which *can *distinguish one flute from
another or one utterance from another. Likewise, in my own example, all
lowercase, all caps, bold, italics, and color *can *be employed to
distinguish different instances (tokens) of the same word (type) from each
other such that they have different dynamical interpretants in their
different contexts. Such an "indefinitely significant character" is *exactly
*what Peirce defines as a "tone," the possible counterpart of existent
"token" and necessitant "type" (CP 4.537).

JFS: Nobody has found anything later (or better at any time) on this topic.

Later, maybe not; better is obviously a subjective judgment. I have quoted
several passages in this post alone, as well as in my previous posts, that
I believe are *better *in the sense that they are *clearer*.

JFS: My primary concern is that you and Jon have made claims abut Peirce
without showing any justification.

Anyone who alleges that we have offered no justification for our claims
about Peirce is either not paying attention or willfully ignoring the
*considerable
*evidence that we have provided.

Structural Engineer, Synechist Philosopher, Lutheran Christian
www.LinkedIn.com/in/JonAlanSchmidt / twitter.com/JonAlanSchmidt