> On 21 Oct 2016, at 16:43, Sean P. DeNigris <s...@clipperadams.com> wrote:
>
> Tudor Girba-2 wrote
>> I would kindly ask for patience. What is perhaps less clear is that this
>> editor is in the critical path of the GT project and we are committed to
>> deliver an editor that actually works. We are still investigating
>> different paths, both on the low level (like with Rope) and at the higher
>> level (like how to organize the layout).
>
> I really appreciate your long-term vision. My point/concern is that IMHO the
> most important thing is to "rachet up" - to alternate frequently between:
> a) releasing working versions of current best ideas (the many benefits of
> which include locking in progress, getting feedback from a wide audience,
> and getting buy-in/allowing users to adapt), and
> b) using that as a launching point for new experiments
>
> We are still using the same original awful text model that has stymied so
> many users/projects! Let's focus on and release something useable - anything
> - to take the pressure off while we invent the future.
>
> To illustrate the general principal, think about all the pain we have
> experienced because the last (promised) crucial step of cleaning and
> refactoring Squeak was not accomplished before beginning the next
> experiment! My question is: where is the sweet spot between the zero vision
> (but universal accessibility for actual work) of Java/C++, and infinite
> vision (at the extreme cost of immediately-usable artifacts) of
> Squeak/VPRI[1]?

amen.

think is: is like the third time we start once again to build the next huge
steps.
and frankly, while waiting for that we have a text model that sucks and a cool
text model unfinished and usable and a text editor that cannot handle
complicated stuff because it is not ready, etc. etc.
it feels bad. it tastes bad. and is not good at all.

Esteban