> No, I made an objective observation about a group but in the interest of
being productive I will reword:

The comment about ineptness isn't objective. It is subjective, because it
is based on an opinion.

>"The leadership, whom appears to be the secretaries and or voting members
of this community appear to be inept."

This is still an insult. How about just removing the insulting stuff from
your post? It simply isn't needed. Without it, your post is actually quite
good.

>The fact is criticism is an important facet of any community and if you
can't handle it, you should not be anywhere near any honest community.

Criticism and insults are two largely different things. A person can easily
point out why he or she thinks someone is inept, without actually saying
it.

>Lastly, a good leader doesn't take that as an insult. They say to
themselves, "O.k., what is driving that observation? Why does this
individual think we are inept? Is he just flaming or is the criticism
valid?"

You are right. Such comments are actually a flaming tactic to bring up
emotion first. It is a poke to pry out an emotional response, instead of a
factual/ objective one. It is also the tool of a troll (and I am not saying
you are a troll).

You are also right. Someone who is emotionally smart, which a leader should
be, would probably fly over the BS parts of a post and try to dig out the
golden nuggets, should there be any. But sometimes, the BS outweighs the
nuggets and thus, will usually just get the whole post ignored, or even
worse, that person might inflame the discussion to a much more emotional
state. Then the troll has won!

> If the person can't do that, they shouldn't be in the position of
leadership. If you can't handle that, I suggest you step back and ask
yourself why your esteem is so tied up in that of the opinions of strangers
on the Internet.

Was this last sentence at all necessary? That question doesn't need to be
answered for sake of sidetracking this thread even more (which I apologize
for). Just please give it some thought Josh.

So, I guess it is obvious that some people don't understand the difference
between proper objective discourse and constructive criticism and
emotionally prodding, opinionated and personal insults (indirect or
direct).

This leads me back to my own point in this thread. Any community needs
rules that say a member should not introduce off-topic, usually emotionally
prodding, opinionated responses and/or insults (which is the definition of
trolling) and that doing so has consequences. They are needed, so that when
offences occur, the membership and/ or leadership only need to point to
that rule and say it was violated. That is the judgement. Then it is up to
the leaders to apply the fair punishment. That is, from my experience, one
of the best ways, if not the best way, to keep up orderly discourse in an
online community.

Scott