--- Joaquim Carvalho <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> escribió:
> If you read the plex86 LGPL license :
> http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/lesser.html
> you can see that you don't have to ask ANYBODY
> permission for
> you or your students to work on plex86.
> Any volunteer work is welcome.
>
> Why on earth do you think you have to ask for
> "permission"?
> Why on earth would anyone say they "wouldn't like"
> the students to
> work on it?
> This question is even more ridiculous as almost no
> one is doing any
> work on plex86 at this time. When you talk about the
> "comunity" do
> you mean the user "comunity"? Or the "comunity" of
> those discussing
> this list on itself? Do you mean the "comunity" of
> those who like to
> think they own plex86? Has anyone read the LGPL
> license?
>
> Regards,
> Joaquim

Hi:
I particullary think it's very important to define
some of this things. Since 1999, I'm trying to
implement a mecanism to incorporate Open Source
projects on universitie's courses, because I'm a
Professor. I think the problem is deeper that it
seems. I'll try to explain some concepts:
1) The GNU and other similar projects come from the
academic world (Richard Stallman is an academic, for
example)
2) A comercial community (i.e. RedHat, Caldera, etc.
etc. etc.) has taked the leadership of Open Source,
but (at least from my viewpoint) changing the essence
of the idea.
3) If the academy not respond to that, the OpenSource
idea will become another comercial empire, like
Microsoft. IBM, Sun, RedHat, etc. are very interested
to create another "software phenomena" like Windows,
but without Microsoft.
What's my opinion?
a) It's necessary to convert the traditional Computer
Science's School into a "Software Fabric", like the
Capability Maturity Model says, where student's may
occupy all the "roles" and the professors becomes the
project leaders.
What's your opinion about that?

José Enrique Alvarez