On Wed, Apr 10, 2002 at 09:58:51AM -0700, Dr. Yasha Karant wrote:

> > On Wed, Apr 10, 2002 at 09:06:11AM -0500, Jos? Enrique Alvarez Estrada wrote:
> > >  --- Joaquim Carvalho <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> escribi?:
> [snip]
> > > What's my opinion?
> > > a) It's necessary to convert the traditional Computer
> > > Science's School into a "Software Fabric", like the
> > > Capability Maturity Model says, where student's may
> > > occupy all the "roles" and the professors becomes the
> > > project leaders.
> > > What's your opinion about that?
> >
> > Why should professers be the leaders of the actual project? I think
> > it's good for students to learn how to manage a project. The professor
> > should guide him with that.
> >
> > AFAIK GNU wants to work with the academic world to make free software
> > better than it already is, did you already contact somebody from the
> > FSF about this?
> >
> [snip]
>
> I do not care if the person who is "leading" a project be a professor,
> a PostDoc, a Grad Student, an undergrad, or a 5 year old.  I do care that
> the person understands the basic computer science involved (and not
> just as a technician/programmer/coder but as a computer scientist or
> informatician depending whether the discipline is Computer Science or
> Informatics in the region in which the work is being done -- naming
> nomenclature only).  I know colleagues who are outstanding computer
> science theoreticians, and whom I would not let near a real software
> engineering project.

IMHO somebody should also have another skill: the leader should be
able to discuss things in a good way so other people can convine the
person if he/she is wrong.

> As to whether or not Plex86 or any other effort formally obeys the GNU
> FSF development/implementation standards/guidelines set, I could care less.
> The GNU FSF has one set, the old CSRG had another set, and there are others.
> However, there needs to be *SOME* set.  As for being under FSF, that
> merely was a possible suggestion to get Plex86 "competitive" with VMWare.

I like the GNU standards, they are quite nice and used in a lot of
project related to plex86. (Like gcc, glibc, etc.)

> However, using any production project (Plex86 is such a project, as is
> the GNU compiler suite) as a straight-out learning tool for students
> is not wise.  Students will learn by being involved.  Nonetheless, the
> person(s) "leading" the effort must not be "learners" or "amateurs".
> They may indeed be students and/or amateurs by any legal definition;
> functionally, they must be experienced professionals.

I agree.

> That
> was one of the major shortcomings of Linux versus BSD -- Linux started
> as a very amateur effort, whereas BSD from the beginning was done by
> professionals.

I totally agree with that, why do you think I participate in Hurd
development? The Hurd is clearly started very professional and is
still very professional, I hope we get to see the advantages of that
soon.

> Free software?  Open source?  A discussion for another time.  "Use
> the Source, Luke."

I just try to advocate free software. :)

Jeroen Dekkers
--
Jabber supporter - http://www.jabber.org Jabber ID: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Debian GNU supporter - http://www.debian.org http://www.gnu.org