On Wed, Apr 10, 2002 at 06:06:30PM -0400, Drew Northup wrote:

> "Dr. Yasha Karant" wrote:
> > I do not care if the person who is "leading" a project be a professor,
> > a PostDoc, a Grad Student, an undergrad, or a 5 year old.  I do care that
> > the person understands the basic computer science involved (and not
> > just as a technician/programmer/coder but as a computer scientist or
> > informatician depending whether the discipline is Computer Science or
> > Informatics in the region in which the work is being done -- naming
> > nomenclature only).  I know colleagues who are outstanding computer
> > science theoreticians, and whom I would not let near a real software
> > engineering project.
>
> I'm an engineer.  I just happen to do computers--and have for about 14
> of my 21 (soon to be 22) years.  I'm getting a degree in Computer
> Engineering too--as if that matters when it comes to managing a
> project.  What is really important is that the leader:
>
> Be zealos about the continuance of the project
> Be courteous to other project members
> Be able to commit a great deal of time to things other than actual
> project work that will help sustain the project
> Be sure of what needs to be done, when, and how
> Be capable of division of labor and organization (I may not be able to
> clean my room some days, but on those days I certainly can manage to
> tell other people what needs to get done)
> Be committed to quality work--not quantity; as an engineer I care more
> how well it works than how many we made
> Be able to set valid and useful goals
> Be persistant

Something which comes in my mind: Do we really need one leader? We can
have multiple people doing all these things together. I think that's
better.

> > They may indeed be students and/or amateurs by any legal definition;
> > functionally, they must be experienced professionals.  That
> > was one of the major shortcomings of Linux versus BSD -- Linux started
> > as a very amateur effort, whereas BSD from the beginning was done by
> > professionals.
>
> I agree about professionalism.  Unfortunately that isn't something that
> you can get a degree it.  It just happens to some people--and not to
> others.  It is very much like the force--but instead of just Anakin, we
> all have it if we wish to make ourselves try to find it.
>
> One man I have worked with in the past once gave a speech on Respect &
> Responsibility--the only two rules that you need in life.  You will find
> that this is true.  They are the definition of professionalism.  Once
> you have that you just need some idea as to what you are doing.
>
> I don't want to boast, chide, or anything of the like--but that is the
> reason why Kevin let me take over this project.  I aspire to the rules
> of Respect and Responsibility--and I hope that others here feel the same
> about their basic essence that I do.

I agree.

> Lets get coding, debugging, and working as a group--PLEASE!

Yes, but I don't have the time to actually develop plex86 at the
moment. :(

Jeroen Dekkers
--
Jabber supporter - http://www.jabber.org Jabber ID: [EMAIL PROTECTED]