On 2015-03-11 12:32-0000 Arjen Markus wrote:

Hi Phil,

The message is due to a security problem in the X server if you use
the default security settings. I know of it but I do not have a handy
receipe to solve it. Tk's send command allows you to send any command
to the X host, which is why this message pops up.

Hi Phil:

I think Arjen is right.  Hopefully Andrew (who uses Ubuntu a lot for
testing) will know the recipe to properly authorize -dev tk on Ubuntu.  For
some reason I have never run into this authorization issue on Debian
stable, but that is probably because (by design) Debian default
security settings are quite weak.

I also noticed in another message that you presumably had solved that
authorization issue and found a commit (id = 1e402417c1f) that your
tests showed introduced a -dev tk rendering regression, but I cannot
figure out what that regression might be so could you describe it?

The issue is that both 1e402417c1f^ and 1e402417c1f give single GUI
-dev tk results here that both look fine to me (other than the zoom
issue) for example 1 while for master tip I get two GUI's (one with
the Tk decorations and no plot, and the other an undecorated xwin-like
plot).  I have attached a screenshot of that master tip result so you will
know exactly what I am referring too.

I will now do my own git bisects to find when the zoom issue was
introduced and when the two-GUI issue was introduced.