Phil said:

> Hi Alan
> Unfortunately you can probably ignore that email.

> On my work centos machine I tried running an example under the xwin
device - thinking that a buffer problem would be likely to show up
there as well as in the tk device. I then got just a black window and
a hang. Moving back in time I found that the commit I listed gave the
same black window and hang but the one before gave fine results.
I've just looked at this from home and both on my Ubuntu PC and my
Centos PC (both SSH'd in with x forwarding from Cygwin) ant the tip of
master runs fin in both cases.

> So now I am utterly confused and have not got the tk driver running.

My guess is that SSH with X forwarding has figured out all the X
authorization issues, while those may still occur whenever you try to
use direct access.  So I would encourage you to test that hypothesis
by trying -dev tk over an SSH X forwarded connection.  That may allow
you to verify the two-GUI issue for -dev tk for master tip.

Assuming that hypothesis is correct, the change (for direct access for
you) from working screen to black screen from 1e402417c1f^ to
1e402417c1f may not be a regression, but instead the result of
(inadvertently) tightening up the X security model with that plbuf
change.

@Andrew:
I hope you respond to this by advising Phil the best way
to have properly authorized X access when using Ubuntu
directly, checking whether the above plbuf change makes a difference
in your -dev xwin and -dev tk results on Ubuntu, etc.

For what it is worth, for the direct case I am just using the default
X authorization for Debian that you get with the traditional "startx"
method of starting my (KDE) desktop.  In other words, I don't use any
of the xdm, kdm, or gdm3 display-manager methods of starting X for the
direct case, but I am not sure whether that is relevant or not. But
apparently, X is properly authorized by this method at least for
Debian so the plbuf change referred to above has no effect on -dev tk
results for me.