Would I be able to manually edit a recipe so it returned a greater
number of tracks and use this? (I haven't looked at the Echonest API in
detail to see what is possible...)

As explained by Roland0 you can't have more than five new tracks at once. But there's an undocumented preference you could set to increase the number of tracks to be kept in the playlist. 'oldtracks' defaults to 3, which means that all tracks but the three most recently been played are removed from the playlist. You could set this value manually to something larger, then apply the "next" trick to get more tracks in your queue. Awkward, but possible.

--

Michael