> I think it's safe to guess that the critic
> in question probably just assumed that Mr. "Sherry" was a member of the
> Mekons....
>
> It does surprise me, though, that a writer would hear a fairly
> traditional-sounding country tune like "Wild and Blue" (even as done by a
> rock-influenced band like Hazeldine) and assume it was written by the
> Mekons. Unless of course that writer had never actually heard the Mekons
> either, which I guess is a possibility.

At that point of ignorance, it seems like a wiser course would have been
simply to give the song's title and avoid mentioning anyone else altogether
<g>.  I guess it's a good illustration of different attitudes in rock and
country; there have been so many covers, and such a division between
songwriters and performers in the latter that it seems pretty much like
second nature to check this kind of thing out before committing to paper.
Part of learning about country music is learning where songs come from, and
my sense is that that's true with various kinds of roots music - blues,
Cajun and so forth, but I guess it's not so big a thing across the board.

Jon Weisberger  Kenton County, KY [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://home.fuse.net/jonweisberger/