Tar Hut Jeff quotes Bill and says:

> <<Jason Carter's solo discs were priced at $17. I'd have certainly given
> them $15 for the record, and fully intended to, but I couldn't find my
> wallet when it came to the extra $2, which seemed a little gouge-y to
> me. No offense- so I'm a piker. >>
>
> You have to wonder how much Rounder is charging them for the
> discs.......maybe the only way they can profit off it is to charge that
> much......

Bill also noted that they were asking $17 for The Family, which isn't on
Rounder, but on Ceili.

On the larger question, so to speak, bluegrassers not infrequently are
willing to pay top dollar at the record table for stuff they could easily
buy for less at retail in order to 1) feel better about shaking and howdying
with the artist (they may worry about the artist feeling it's a waste of
time when they're not buying), and 2) support the artist by buying directly.
Even at $15 it's usually a couple of bucks over the lowest available
price...

Jon Weisberger  Kenton County, KY [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://home.fuse.net/jonweisberger/