>> On the larger question, so to speak, bluegrassers not infrequently are
>> willing to pay top dollar at the record table for stuff they
>> could easily buy for less at retail in order to 1) feel better
>> about shaking and howdying with the artist (they may worry about the
>> artist feeling it's a waste of time when they're not buying), and 2)
>> support the artist by buying directly.  Even at $15 it's usually a
>> couple of bucks over the lowest available price...
>
> So a markup to $17 isn't uncommon? Hmm.And I was ready and
> willing to give $15, but I was taken aback at $17.
> I guess that $15's where the old "indifference curve" flattens out for me.

Everyone's curve flattens out at a different place, I guess, and of course,
some folks (like, f'r instance, me) will sometimes buy at retail even when
there's no price differential in order to have an impact there.  Anyhow, $17
has been uncommon, at least at festivals, although we're heading into a new
season, and maybe it will soon be the norm.

Jon Weisberger  Kenton County, KY [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://home.fuse.net/jonweisberger/