>On Fri, 9 Apr 1999, JP Riedie wrote:
>
>> Don, my love, you must admit there's a creepy unanimity among the critics
>> regarding this release.  There a definitely lemmings afoot.
>
>Hmmm.  Well, I always find it interesting when folks perceive a "lemmings"
>affect when the music in question is something they don't personally like.
>I hope I'm not off-base here, John, but I assume you don't care for the
>new Wilco?<g>  And to put the shoe on the other foot -- I've no doubt that
>Stevie saw absolutely no lemmings when Trace was being praised to the
>skies, and most likely the same went for John when Sign O' The Times was
>being universally toasted.  I assume both of 'em just chalked it up to the
>good taste of the reviewers (who were, after all, affirming their own good
>taste.<g>).--don

I was too wasted to notice the critics when Sign O' the Time was released.
I just listened to it for 6 months straight.

Actually, and I realized I should have mentioned this first, Summerteeth is
my favorite Wilco album.  To me its a logical extension or companion to
Mermaid Ave (which I think is wonderful)  Being There sucked and A.M. was
underwhelming.  What bothers me is the lack of any real criticism (e.g.
critical thinking) regarding this record.  Instead we get universal raving
"reviews" which sound like the writings of a cadre of wild eyed publicists.
Or maybe Jenni Sperendeo.

She's gonna kill me for that.