Jim says:

> My point, and I think we keep missing each other, is that country radio
> (which is NOT based in Nashville) and the country music labels are in bed
> on this together....there are under the
> table deals made in all formats that control what gets played....
>
> Sure it's called the Nashville machine, that doesn't mean it all
> happens in Nashville.

If radio is NOT based in Nashville, and the country music labels are (as
they in fact are) nothing more than divisions of NOT based in Nashville
companies, and there are these deals "in all formats" between these NOT
based in Nashville consultants and NOT based in Nashville radio and NOT
based in Nashville labels, then it ought not to be called the Nashville
machine - and in fact, it isn't; what it's called by most people is the
music bidness.

>The more money you throw at
>the consultants and their ilk, the better response you get. If Sire REALLY
>wanted to get Mandy Barnett on the radio, they'd hire a big time radio
>promoter, who would pay some consultant to add her record to his stations
>and then you'd hear her on the radio.

Back to Don's question: why didn't the singles off The Key do better?  MCA's
too poor to pay a promoter?  I don't *think* so.

Jon Weisberger, Kenton County, KY  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://home.fuse.net/jonweisberger