Two observations about this Jim vs. Don and Jon debate (a side issue: when
the hell do we get Don vs. Jon?). Anyhow, first thing, aren't a lot of the
sensitive ballad weiners coming out of Nashville not doing that well
either? So it's evidently not just material that's "too country" that's
having a difficult time, though I'm hoping the programmers will notice
that and quit playing so much of that mild crap. I mean, which comes first,
lousy record sales and then radio play falls off, or the other way around?

Second thing, I'm not convinced by Don and Jon's example of Vince Gill's
"The Key." It's one record, and I think we need some more examples.
There's other factors that may have contributed to its lack of success
(incidentally, a "lack of success" that very many performers in and out of
Nashville envy greatly). But basically, until you've provided some more
examples, you're vulnerable to the "exception that proves the rule" argument.

-- Terry Smith, a normal music fan