On 10-Mar-2009, at 06:44, Sahil Tandon wrote:
On Mar 10, 2009, at 4:29 AM, LuKreme <krem...@kreme.com> wrote:
On 9-Mar-2009, at 15:58, mouss wrote:
you must understand the difference between
  virtual_mailbox_domains
and
  virtual_alias_domains

I understand the difference, I have virtual_mailbox_domains assigned and I don't have virtual_alias_domains :)

Ok let's try this again. As a few people on this list have politely indicated, you *DO* have virtual_alias_domains set unless you explicitly unset it in main.cf. See the default value for further enlightenment.

Yes, you obviously missed the smilie at the end.

But to be pedantic, I do *not* have virtual_alias_domains set at all, and it does not show up in postconf -n because I've never changed its default value ($virtual_alias_maps). From ADDRESS_CLASS_README

    For backwards compatibility with Postfix version 1.1, the new
    virtual_alias_maps parameter defaults to $virtual_maps, and the new
    virtual_alias_domains parameter defaults to $virtual_alias_maps.

% postconf -n | grep "^virtual"
virtual_alias_maps = hash:$config_directory/virtual, pcre: $config_directory/virtual.pcre, mysql:$config_directory/ mysql_virtual_alias_maps.cf
virtual_gid_maps = static:89
virtual_mailbox_base = /usr/local/virtual
virtual_mailbox_domains = mysql:$config_directory/ mysql_virtual_domains_maps.cf virtual_mailbox_maps = mysql:$config_directory/ mysql_virtual_mailbox_maps.cf
virtual_minimum_uid = 89
virtual_transport = procmail
virtual_uid_maps = static:89

If you're saying that I don't understand why I would have a different virtual_alias_domains value to the existing virtual_alias_maps, then you're right. virtual_alias_domains appears to be an alternate way of listing the domains that I would list in the $config_directory/virtual file. WHY you would do it this way I have no idea. I suppose if you had virtual domains that were not in mysql... even then, not sure what the advantage would be.

Could I simply change my virtual_alias_maps definition above to virtual_alias_domains? I don't think so. At least how this is setup, the mysql_virtual_alias.maps.cf returns the alias (forwarding alias) of accounts that have an alias set in postfix admin, which is (at least technically) what hash:($config_directory/virtual returns as well.

The actual problem was one of simple memory failure. I forgot that ALL of southgaylord.com was setup at a virtual domain and that two specific email addresses then pointed back to local users via aliases defined in postfixadmin. When I tried to add back southgaylord.com into $config_directory/virtual then everything failed because I was showing the same domain in two disparate locations. Once I figured out what I'd done previously, I was then able to restore everything to the way it was.

This never had anything at all to do with virtual_alias_domains versus virtual_alias_maps, though it *was* a logical place to look.

--
I AM ZOMBOR! (kelly) ZOMBOR!