Hi everybody.

I've been reading up how to install a mailserver for my office.  At the
local computer users group I was told about using PostFix on an Ubuntu
system instead of Microsoft Exchange Server on Windows.  I saw a demo at
the user group, and thought it's worth a real look.  They told us about
this List as a User Community resource.

I want to just install a mailserver that listens on the Static address
Comcast gave me, protects against these bots, spam and viruses, and then
delivers it.

So far I've only been reading the website documentation.  I ordered a
book too that should get here to Topeka in a few days.  The book looked
old and I'm a bit worried it'll be out of date.  But for learning
technology I like a good book with examples I can follow.

On the website, I got to an article "Postfix Before-Queue Content
Filter" at http://www.postfix.org/SMTPD_PROXY_README.html that looks
like it does what I want.  But I'm confused.  It has boxes in the
diagram there for 3 servers.

Why 3?  Do I need to have multiple computers to run this server?

I was also looking at the Content Filters listed on the website.
There's a lot of them.  I don't have a really big computer for this so
want to do something that doesn't use a lot of resources.  Reading
around I saw this Amvisd application which looks like overkill for me
and complicated to set up.  I found two applications that are listed and
seem to do what I need for spam and viruses, Spam Assassin and Clam
AntiVirus.  Are these good choices?

At the user group they mentioned a new feature built into PostFix.  I
found it, PostScreen.  Is that even another server to deal with?

Like I said I just don't understand if I can do all this with just one
computer server, or have to use lots.  If I can get this cleared up with
some pointers and figure out what to do with that diagram I think I'd be
off to the races.

I'd appreciate any help.

Jeremy Alsten