On 4/7/2011 9:39 PM, jeremy.als...@imap-mail.com wrote:
[snip]
Whoa.  I took a look at that and that's a bit much for me at this stage
of the came.

Do I need do it this Multi_Instace way?  Even with your explanation I
still don't understand how many PostFix servers I need to install on my
one host.  I really want to keep the bells and whistles to a minimum,
and just get to the point that, mail comes in, gets thrown away if it's
from one of those bots, has spam content or a virus, and if everything's
okay, gets delivered to my InBox.

I think I get what you're saying about servers, processes and hosts.  So
one host is good enough.  It'll have multiple processes running on it.
So how many PostFix's, or these Instances of it, do I need to install to
just get what I want to do done?

If I'm looking in the wrong places, that'd be good to know.

Thanks for your time and help.

Jeremy Alsten
Jeremy,

Let me ask one super-meta question first: if all you have is one Inbox, why is IMAP service from, say, Gmail, or your ISP, not adequate? You can configure your MUA (Thunderbird, Biff, Outlook...) very easily and be off to the races enjoying Gmail's vast spam-filtering capabilities for free. To run a server you'll need: a static IP (or dynamic IP with a dynamic DNS provider); availability of port 25 which most ISPs block incoming to residential service; a machine that is up and on the network more than 99% of the time; a decent reputation for the IP that your ISP gives you, which is unlikely if it's a residential IP; backup mail receivers for when your server does fail; a way of being paged or e-mail when your server is down; and other sysadmin headaches.

[Note: I am writing this as Stan's note just arrived; some of my points are very similar and redundant.]

Anyway...I'm doing everything you describe with the exception of clamav with a single instance. It was recommend that two instances would make things cleaner and more extensible. I will get there as needs grow. Look back in the archives for my name and the surrounding discussions such as http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/postfix-users/message/273634

At the risk of putting out incomplete information making things worse, here are two pieces of the puzzle I uses to filter with SpamAssassin. So this is illustrative, not prescriptive:

This is from master.cf. What it's meant to illustrate is that all mail that comes in on the standard SMTP port 25 (and thus public, unencrypted, unauthenticated) is sent through a filter before taking the next step. (I have a very simple next

smtp.example.com:smtp inet n - n - - smtpd
   -o content_filter=filter:dummy
   -o syslog_name=postfix-smtp

filter    unix  -       n       n       -       -       pipe
flags=Rq user=spam argv=/usr/local/bin/spamc -U /tmp/spamd.sock -e /usr/sbin/sendmail
  -i -f ${sender} ${recipient}

-Daniel