Hi Stan. And Daniel.

> You're way out in front of yourself.  Setting up spam filtering will
> come well after you get the basic setup accomplished and working.  First
> you need to cover the basics:

I'm pretty sure I got most of these covered when we had Microsoft
Exchange set up.

> Do you have an internet domain registered for which your Postfix
server will be accepting mail?

Yes

> Do you have DNS A and MX records configured for said domain pointing the
> public IP address in front of the Postfix host box?

Yes

> Have you port forwarded TCP 25 on your consumer broadband router
> to the internal address (192.168.x.x) of the Postfix host machine?

I'm not sure you'd call it just a consumer device, but there's an Astaro
Firewall Router box that does that.

> Have you considered a mail retrieval method?  For instance IMAP or
POP?

I was planning to do IMAP but I was told that that comes after getting
PostFix set up.

> such as Dovecot or Courier.

There's another fella here already looking at the Dovecot application.

> Answering your specific question, no, you absolutely don't need multiple
> Postfix instances for a SOHO configuration:
>  http://www.postfix.org/SOHO_README.html

I read that but didn't see anything about filtering spam or viruses.
That other link that mentions those talks about the multiple servers or
instances.

I still don't know for sure.  I'm hoping that book's gonna be a help for
the likes of me.

> Let me ask one super-meta question first: if all you have is one Inbox,
> why is IMAP service from, say, Gmail, or your ISP, not adequate?

I have about 50 employees that I need to have connected.

> To run a server you'll need:
> a static IP (or dynamic IP with a dynamic DNS provider);

Check

> availability of port 25 which most ISPs block incoming to residential service;

It's not residential service.  Check.

> a machine that is up and on the network more than 99% of the time;

We're trying.

> a decent reputation for the IP that your ISP gives you, which is unlikely if
> it's a residential IP;

It's Comcast Business.  We had no problems so far.

> backup mail receivers for when your server does fail;

I'm looking at a couple already.

> Anyway...I'm doing everything you describe with the exception of clamav
> with a single instance. It was recommend that two instances would make
> things cleaner and more extensible. I will get there as needs grow. Look
> back in the archives for my name and the surrounding discussions such as
> http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/postfix-users/message/273634

Thanks for that.  I guess I got some good reading to do.

> This is from master.cf.  What it's meant to illustrate

That's a good example. That's all on one server or instance then?  I
mean you only have one master.cf and one main.cf for your setup?

Do you use that PostScreen application that's built into PostFix too?
Would that go in the same configuration files too?

Thanks one more time.

Jeremy Alsten