Tony,

I have recently obtained this Aurora so your questions are better
aimed at the previous owner who often frequents this list. Sadly,
I appear to be a passenger on this ride but of course am keen to
learn and get this machine up and running ( i have plans for it).
My knowledge though is dire and not ever having managed to
get my Aurora running I have no idea whatsoever whats running
on it.... except SMSQ although exactly what version im not sure.

I didn't receive a superHermes floppy so cannot boot the system
up from it. Regarding the HD and QUDIBE, i want to re-attach the
(TURBO LED) to QUBIDE so i can see the HD access but I'm not sure
where to attach the small two female socket plug. Once done, i will
be able to see when the HD gets accessed during startup which will
push things forward.

Worst case senario, I will bring the Aurora to the next QL
get-to-gether
in Fleet or whereever and boot some of your time to get things
running.

Cheers
Neil

Neil Riley wrote:

> First the good news, for those of you who have been helping with my
> Aurora.
> The KVM switch is now working with my Aurora, After fitting a
keyboard
> PS2 to  DIN
> and PS2 to Serial mouse connector the KVM happily switches between
PC

)
> QUBIDE/REBEL Driver v2.01 @1994-98
> Initialising .........  ( the ...... appear one at a time over a few
> seconds)
> FUJITSU MPB3021ATU
> LTN526S
>
> At this point the PC's keyboard appears to recognise me pressing the
F1
> or F2 key although if i wait
> it seems to carry on.
> Although probably not important, If i press the F1 key the screen
> clears, shows the usual window #0,#1 and #2
> where the windows are white / red and black, if i press F2, the
screen
> becomes a blue square for a blink of an eye
> before we have windows #0,#1 and #2 where the windows are black/red
and
> black.
>
> after a couple of seconds, the screen clears again and i get the
> following green on black messages at the top of the screen.
>
> TF Services RomDisq V2.14 @ 1997 TT
> QUBIDE/REBEL Driver v2.01 @1994-98
> Initialising
>
> Whilst the messages are duplicates of before, the system gets stuck
on
> Initialising and continues no further.
>
> Phil, the previous owner suggested the keyboard driver loaded from
the
> RomDisq and prior to fitting the PS2 to DIN convertor
> suggested the system could be hanging, not able to 'find' the
keyboard
> but seeing as F1 and F2 are being picked up oin the
> initial boot screen I'm no longer certain.
>
> Appologies for the lengthy nature of this email but I guess the more
> info the better.
>
> Many Thanks
> Neil.
>
> p.s. removing the KVM has the exact same results so i've discounted
> this as causing the lockup.
>
> p.p.s. Before being able to fit the keyboard/mouse i took the
RomDisq
> out and booted up, was able to boot up far further, with
> windows #0/#1 and #2 being shown with plenty of text ( cannot recall
> what all the messages were but there were plenty of Version numbers !
).

> I haven't performed this since fitting the keyboard mouse so i could
> try that again if need be.

This looks like an issue with the HD boot program.
Boot up off superHermes floppy and investigate win1_boot.
Maybe it is trying to run SMSQ?

Is it running Minerva MKII (with battery)?
If so, remove the small socketed chip, place on alu foil to zap its
ram
and replace.  As long as Minnie has a working battery-backed clock the
SGC battery is not essential.  You will need to run the utility to
force
the Minerva clock (and miniconfig_bas to reset the MVR values).

Aurora cannot be blamed for this (8-)#

Tony

- --
QBBS (QL fido BBS 2:252/67) +44(0)1442-828255
       [EMAIL PROTECTED]     http://firshman.co.uk
Voice: +44(0)1442-828254 Fax: +44(0)1442-828255 Skype: tonyfirshman

The contents of this email are confidential to the intended recipient.
It may not be disclosed to or used by anyone other than the addressee, nor may
it be copied in any way. If received in error, please contact the company on
01793-715380, then delete it from your system. Please note neither the company
nor the sender accepts any responsibility for viruses and it is your
responsibility to scan attachments (if any) for viruses.
No contract may be concluded on behalf of the company by means of email
communications.

BC Services (UK) Limited (trading as Boxclever), Technology House,
Ampthill Road, Bedford, MK42 9QQ.  Registered No. 5290544 England

 www.boxclever.co.uk