On Thu, Apr 29, 1999 at 10:00:45AM -0500, Justin Bell wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 29, 1999 at 01:22:51PM +0100, Chris Green wrote:
> # The problem is that there is no simple alternative which one can
> # recommend for the SoHo environment.  The reason I chose to install
> # qmail on my home system was that the general opinion in places I
> # looked was that it was the simplest/easiest MTA to install.  Given
> # this and the fact that one has to install *some* sort of MUA where
> # else is the naive new Linux user supposed to go?
>
> sendmail should suit the needs of the home user just fine, and it comes
> installed on most Linux distributions

Not really, a little network with a connection to a dial-up ISP is not
easy to set up using sendmail.  That's why I decided to use qmail
because (especially with the holdremote patch) it is well suited to
this situation, it's also what lots of people suggested I use because
it's easier than sendmail.

I'm not knocking qmail (it's excellent and works very well for me) but
just trying to point out that a little more help for users of small
systems who aren't full time sysadmins would be very welcome.  There's
no ideal MTA for small (unix/linux) systems, all the existing ones are
trying to be the best for big systems IMHO.  Given this lack of MTA
for small systems qmail will be the MTA of choice for quite a few
people who need a bit more hand holding than is easily available at
present.

--
Chris Green ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Home: [EMAIL PROTECTED]           Work: [EMAIL PROTECTED]