On Thu, Apr 29, 1999 at 09:12:49AM -0700, Patrick Berry wrote:
> > Anyone who can read and comprehend the documentation and is moderately
> > intelligent should be able to install qmail with a minimum of fuss.
>
> I can back this up.  I've been thrown into sys admin duty recently.  I
> was able to get qmail+pop3 up in about a day and a half.  I didn't
> have a plan.  This was bad.  I just downloaded the src and compiled,
> then went searching for the INSTALL file.  Then to qmail.org, the
> searched the archive for hours.

OK you (and I) can 'afford' to spend this sort of amount of time.  In
my case it's simply because it's on a home system which is as much
hobby as essential tool.

However a small businessmand hasn't got this sort of amount of time to
spend and isn't going to regard configuring his E-Mail as recreation
over the weekend.  He is also, maybe, a one or two person business
that can't afford to hire someone for a day or two to do the job for
him.

Lots of other (quite complex) software is used by small businesses and
is quicker/easier to set up than qmail.  OK, so quite a bit of it is
commercial and so part of what your paying for is the slick set-up.
But there's not much in the way of alternatives to qmail (and they're
more difficult to configure) so where does the small business go?

--
Chris Green ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Home: [EMAIL PROTECTED]           Work: [EMAIL PROTECTED]