Interesting discussion. I'll add a question: George and other aging
has-beens, do y'all find that warming up is more and more necessary as you
age? Yesterday, feeling tired from the hills on Wednesday, I went out on a
12 mile rt grocery run with one of those very annoying headwinds that is
facing you no matter which direction you go. (Yes, you literal minded ones,
that's a joke.) In fact, I think the wind was variable; it certainly was
gusty. At any rate, I spurned a warmup in the 63" low on the errand Riv,
and despite trying to hold back, found myself in that annoying state of
feeling perpetually bogged in a slightly too-high gear (it was 70") even
though at other times the gear seems low, even riding in winds. (12 miles?
Tired? Pathetic!) It's my legs as much as my lungs that suffer, while at
other times I'll blithely ride the same 70" gear up Tramway.

Anyway, I think that as I progress into my 60s, warmup is starting to
mean *warmup,
*and I have to be very careful to go slowly for at least 3-4 miles before
riding even at my usual slow cruising speeds. 12 mph warmup.

Do y'all find this so?

As to elevated heart rate: that's a sure sign of overdoing it. I used to be
that way regularly back when I commuted across town, making every 15-16
mile 1-way into a time trial (or a contest with the Route 66 buses). I
caught cold very easily too, and always felt tired. (I would routinely beat
the bus and the hour, straight across on Central Ave from Atrisco to Juan
Tabo, with 7 miles of climbing starting at Broadway. I always beat the bus
and often beat the hour, clock running, lights and all, and including the
complications downtown around Gold and the Coors crossing east of the
 Unser and Ladera starting point. About 68".

Speaking of spinning -- reminds me of the horrible 60 minute, structured
workouts I inflicted on myself before I decided it was better to ride in
sub freezing weather -- my ex wife, not ex at the time, bless her naivete,
decided to try Spinning (tm) at a nearby gymn, and turned up wholly
unprepared -- and just about fell off halfway through fatigue; she had to
be revived with kindness and ministrations and liquids. She took up running
instead.