The point of moderation is to prevent problems.  Once you've already got
problems, it may be a different story. However, extremity in seeking weight
loss may not be a good plan either.  I have known people who developed health
problems as a result of the Adkins plan, the "primal" type stuff, etc.  I've
also known people helped by it.  These are decisions to be made with the advice
of a doctor, not an Internet mailing list or a blog or some other web site.

My Dad was an insulin dependent diabetic from the age of 6, which he developed
as a consequence of having had polio in 1935.  He took two to three shots of
insulin a day for the rest of his life, which was about 25 years longer than he
had been told to expect (he lived to be 67).  It's a disease best prevented.
Even though he was compliant with diet and treatment, it still took a toll on
his health (coronary artery disease, peripheral vascular disease, peripheral
neuropathy but oddly no problems with kidneys or eyes).  He had a great
endocrinologist... It's so much better not to need a great endocrinologist.  As
a result I pay a lot of attention since I may have an increased risk, although
no doctor can tell me for sure since diabetes does not run strongly in the
family on either side.