On Monday, October 8, 2012 12:36:23 PM UTC-4, franklyn wrote:

> There is a whole community of people who were inspired by Bill Clinton's
> weight loss based on a lifestyle and diet changes . ..

Bill Clinton aside, "lifestyle" is a very important part of the equation.
There's a lot of talk about what to eat, how to eat, blah, blah .  . . but
I don't think all that talk makes much difference if other aspects of
lifestyle are out of balance.  There's a distinct feeling that comes with
wellness - things get easy because being physically and mentally well feels
really, really good.  the body naturally craves this feeling and eating
well and being active is our natural default setting - I live that
lifestyle not because i'm on a specific "diet" and "exercise" regimen, but
simply because it makes me feel good, day in and day out.  it give me
energy to do the things I like doing.  it naturally relieves stress.  it
promotes rest and sleep.  there's no choice or calculus about whether to
eat this or that, or whether i should "do cardio" - the only choice is
whether i want to feel good or feel like crap.

culturally, we're getting pretty far removed from our natural "wellness"
default.  obesity, depression, anxiety ... that stuff goes hand-in-hand.
life gets out of control, weight gets out of control, and we eventually
start to lose our minds and feel like crap all the time.  to feel "good"
again, people over compensate with the things that should make us feel good
- over eating is a prime example.  "Comfort" has literally become a food
group.

we need to get back to the basics and those who are really struggling with
weight need a multi-dimensional solution.  be active.  have sex.  sleep.
volunteer.  pet a dog.  learn something new.  unplug the computer/TV and go
outside.  that seems like a better prescription for weight loss than any
diet.