That sounds like it will be one sweet bike !!!!!

For those debating about the 40/26 chainring choice, you seem to miss the
part about Liesl's rear hub choice :  A Phil Rivy .  That is a freewheel
hub. Likely she will be using a 13t low cog, maybe a 12t if she has them.
I could totally see having a 80 inch top gear being just fine, it depends
on the rider !

Even on my Bombadil, with a 24/36/48 , I ride in the 36t using a 13-32 7sp.
FW most of the time.  I could , if I had to .... even use the 36t only,
especially if I did not live in the hilly terrain I do !

As far as brakes,while I'm one for "old school" post style cantilevers, I'd
say get some polished silver Pauls.