"Regardless of the cassette in question, the "big jump" is due to the
53.8% difference between the chain rings."

My jump is 47% between chainrings.  That's much bigger than the 27% jump
from your 36 to your 46, but it is smaller than the 50% jump from your 24
to your 36.  I don't know if I should go mad or not!