Steve writes:
"In the terrain I ride most, I'd stay on the big ring all the way down the
block until I was forced to shift -- and I would be forced to shift every
time it got steep, ... I'll be looking for a gear lower than 38 inches,
something in the mid to low 30s."

In which case I am surprised you are happy with that 36 tooth middle ring.
With that, only your two biggest cogs (w/ 32.4" and 36") meet your criteria.

Were I in your shoes, I would drop the middle ring size by 4 teeth thereby
moving that 36" gear down a cog to the 24t. But of course I am not you, and
the great thing is we all get to ride what we like.