On 08/22/2013 10:55 PM, William wrote:
"Regardless of the cassette in question, the "big jump" is due to the
53.8% difference between the chain rings."

My jump is 47% between chainrings. That's much bigger than the 27% jump from your 36 to your 46, but it is smaller than the 50% jump from your 24 to your 36. I don't know if I should go mad or not!

There's a difference between going from a rarely used small granny to middle ring, and a routine, do it all day long on every ride, shift from small to large chain ring. It takes a lot of drama to force me to shift to the granny, and I don't mind a little of the same getting off of it. It happens only in exceptional circumstances: I spend most of my time riding in rolling country, not the mountains, and in rolling country I don't have to use the granny. A wide range double, on the other hand, is shifted often.

However, everyone has to find gearing that they're happy with. There are obviously some who can tolerate frequent wide-range crossovers, and -- especially with the new breed of ultra wide range cassettes like the 11-36 -- many whose needs are fully met by them. Personally, I think the "standard" Riv 110/74 "compact triple" is a better solution for most riders; but I'm not a STI user and I'm very familiar with this kind of triple and don't find them even slightly "confusing."