LT Tracked robot kit: $2,900
Jaguar Mobile Tracked Platform: $3500

High cost of entry for an aluminum box with some tracks stuck on it (with no
radio or motor controller).

IMO, the tracks and drive are the easiest part of a build.  There are many
duplicate parts that make tracks tedious but the basic design and concepts
are not hard.  A fully functional turret that feeds paintballs well can be a
real challenge, particularity as they get smaller.

One thing to consider with these tracked ROV kits is that they are designed
for low speed search and surveillance.  Any of the current battling tanks
could run circles around them.

Here's a thought, give me $4K and I'll make anybody a competitive tank.

Steve Tyng