RED NEWS - MUFC Daily News by Email.
For the very latest news, the forum, and more check out the website at
http://www.rednews.co.uk
For United books, videos, DVDs etc http://www.rednews.co.uk/ama.php?id=amazon

---------------------------------
[20] Fixtures for new season
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, June 22, 2006 by ed:
 http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/man_utd/fixtures/default.stm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/man_utd/fixtures/default.stm

 http://www.qksrv.net/click-795737-10280817

Check http://www.rednews.co.uk to view the image which has been removed from
plain text email version of news

---------------------------------
[19] Times on Italian scandal
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, June 22, 2006 by ed:
'IN ROME THIS afternoon, just as Italy wind down their group E match against
the Czech Republic, prosecutors will charge the clubs and individuals involved
in the country’s match-fixing scandal. The eventual outcome could see some
unfamiliar names among Italy’s representatives in the Champions League and Uefa
Cup next season as the four clubs directly involved in the scandal — Juventus,
AC Milan, Fiorentina and Lazio — face punishments from relegation to points
deductions.

Thirteen members of the Italy squad play for the four clubs and their future is
in question, particularly those who play for Juventus, who are likely to be
relegated. Players such as Gianluigi Buffon, Gianluca Zambrotta, Mauro
Camoranesi and Fabio Cannavaro will probably move on.

The punishment handed to Milan, Lazio and Fiorentina — whose alleged crimes are
lesser than those of Juventus — are likely to be directly proportional. If
Juventus are sent down to Serie C1 — Italy’s third division — then the trio
will likely be relegated from the top tier. Otherwise, the three clubs will
face points penalties that, in the case of Milan and Fiorentina, will deprive
them of Champions League football and could yet lead to a mini fire-sale of
stars such as Kaká and Luca Toni.

As it stands, Italy’s list of teams in Europe next season is likely to include
Chievo and Palermo in the Champions League and Ascoli and Empoli in the Uefa
Cup.'

---------------------------------
[18] Guardian on Ribery
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, June 22, 2006 by ed:
'Manchester United and Arsenal have failed in their attempts to persuade Franck
Ribéry to become a Premiership player. Alhough the France international wants a
transfer from Marseille - who are ardently resisting it - he will not go to
England. Instead he will seek to engineer a move to the French champions Lyon,
who have been in dispute with Marseille over him. "I wish to stay in France for
two or three more seasons," said the 23-year-old. "For the wellbeing of my
family and to play at the highest level, Lyon represents the ideal club for
that. The challenge they offer me is more than interesting. Lyon is clearly my
priority for next season."

---------------------------------
[17] SUN pick up on Ecuador-Carlos story
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, June 22, 2006 by ed:
'MANCHESTER UNITED have given Ecuador tips on how to dump England out of the
World Cup.

Old Trafford No 2 Carlos Queiroz passed on secrets about Sven Goran Eriksson’s
players to Ecuador boss Luis Suarez two weeks before the finals.

Suarez, 46, spent an entire day being briefed at United’s Carrington training
ground and will get the chance to put the advice into practice on Sunday when
the teams meet in Stuttgart in the second round.

Colombian Suarez wrote to Chelsea, Liverpool and United seeking a masterclass
on how to beat European teams. United were the only club to reply.

Fellow Spanish speaker Queiroz is believed to have given a lowdown on tactics
and the physical demands of European football. Coach Mike Phelan helped out.

Boss Alex Ferguson was not at the meeting but is understood to have given his
blessing.

Suarez’s meeting was set up by Londoner Les Dickens, an ex-pat now living in
Ecuador and an adviser to its FA.

He said: “Suarez came away with a better understanding of European teams after
meeting with Queiroz. It was a great learning experience for him and very
uplifting.

“As a manager you are very much on your own and Manchester United were very
helpful.

“They rolled out the red carpet and we were given the royal tour and stayed for
five hours. The visit was worthwhile. You just have to look at how Ecuador
played when they defeated Poland.”

---------------------------------
[16] Barca Chief on Europe next season
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, June 22, 2006 by ed:
Laporta

“Chelsea are a very strong team with a lot of quality players and they also
have a lot of financial power and strength. But Arsenal, Manchester United and
AC Milan also look strong so I believe it will be another tough season. We
already have a world-class squad that can compete and we believe we can go for
a clean sweep to win every competition.”

---------------------------------
[15] No Barca move for Lampard
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, June 22, 2006 by ed:
President Joan Laporta

“Lampard is a fantastic player, one I admire. But I can say that we definitely
will NOT be signing him this summer. Our central midfield is closed now. We
have a squad we are very happy with and we are very satisfied with Gudjohnsen
and that’s enough for us. Gudjohnsen is a class player who can play in midfield
and in attack. So I am happy and the coach and the general manage are very
happy with the squad that we have.”

var uri = 'http://impgb.tradedoubler.com/imp/img/512755/608750?' + new String
(Math.random()).substring (2, 11);document.write('
http://clkuk.tradedoubler.com/click?p=19134&a=608750&g=512755
Check http://www.rednews.co.uk to view the image which has been removed from
plain text email version of news
');

---------------------------------
[14] Carrick bid upped
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, June 22, 2006 by ed:
sun

'MANCHESTER UNITED have upped their bid for England star Michael Carrick to
£14.2million. Old Trafford chief Alex Ferguson is keen to strengthen his
midfield and has identified the Tottenham ace as the man for the job.

An initial £10m bid was rejected earlier this month. But Fergie is determined
to get his man and the new offer comes close to the valuation Spurs chief
Martin Jol has put on Carrick.

A move to United is believed to appeal to the former West Ham midfielder, who
is currently with England in Germany.

United have failed to replace former captain Roy Keane while doubts remain over
Paul Scholes after a series of injuries.

Jol is desperate to hold on to Carrick, who played a major role in helping
Spurs to fifth spot last term.

Jol said: “We do not want to lose a player like Michael Carrick. He was
probably our best midfield player this season, so why should we sell him?

“I’ve told my chairman I want to keep Michael. We are building something, so I
can’t do without him.

“Michael has got a contract for another two years, so that is the situation. He
owes this club and he is happy here.”

Tottenham paid the Hammers £2.75m for Carrick in 2004.'

---------------------------------
[13] More de la Cruz
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, June 22, 2006 by ed:
“Rooney is a very good player and he is someone I love to play against. But the
fact he is not totally fit gives us a boost as well. Perhaps I can give him a
bit of a kick to test it out, although I don’t want a red card. But I will
certainly be doing my best to see whether he is 100 per cent fit or not.”

---------------------------------
[12] Order the Red News Summer mag. Not on sale at any game and ONLY available
by mail order
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, June 22, 2006 by ed:
The Red News Summer Special (issue 126) is out at the start of July and is ONLY
available by online or mail order. So order Red News 126 here! This will not be
sold at any game.

United's First Fanzine. Now 19 years old!

Without the fanzine, and your support, there is no website.

Either send sterling cheque for £2.50 to Red News, P.O.Box 176, Manchester, M16
8LG made payable to Red News) or by credit card below (or we can ring you and
process it ourselves - send us your number to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

100% Independent. 100% Unofficial. Let's keep it that way.

RN126 Out end of June
RN125 Out Sunday May 7th
RN 124 Still available
RN 123 Exclusive Ole interview Still available
RN 121 George Best tribute Still available
RN 120 Still available
RN 119 Still available

In the UK £2.50 inc p&p each copy
ROW £3.50 inc p&p  each copy

To order a single copy click on

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_xclick&business=rednewsweb%40mac%2ecom&item_name=Red%20News%20Single%20Copy%20Order&item_number=Red%20News%20Single%20Copy%20Order&no_shipping=0&no_note=1&currency_code=GBP&bn=PP%2dBuyNowBF&charset=UTF%2d8

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_xclick&business=rednewsweb%40mac%2ecom&item_name=Red%20News%20Single%20Copy%20Order&item_number=Red%20News%20Single%20Copy%20Order&no_shipping=0&no_note=1&currency_code=GBP&bn=PP%2dBuyNowBF&charset=UTF%2d8

UK 10 issue sub £25.00 inc p&p
Europe 10 issue sub £30.00 inc p&p
Rest Of The World 10 issue sub £35.00 inc p&p

All our t-shirts - Some classic designs

 http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/shoptsht.htm
http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/shoptsht.htm

ECF '68 High Quality retro Shirts with Hand Embroided Crest. Order by credit
card or cheque at...

 http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/shopec68.htm
http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/shopec68.htm

NEW UNOFFICIAL 'ALTERNATIVE' HOME SHIRTS - £5 to Phoenix Fund

 http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/shop64.htm
http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/shop64.htm

 http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/shop65.htm
http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/shop65.htm

And those kind hearted souls out there can help with our costs by making an
online donation via paypal. Doesn't matter how small the amount is, every bit
helps with our costs - thanks. click on.

https://www.paypal.com/xclick/business=rednewsweb%40aol.com&item_name=Red+News+donation&item_number=RN+donation&cn=Donate+to+Online+or+Fanzine%3F&tax=0&curr

https://www.paypal.com/xclick/business=rednewsweb%40aol.com&item_name=Red+News+donation&item_number=RN+donation&cn=Donate+to+Online+or+Fanzine%3F&tax=0&curr

---------------------------------
[11] England bust-up
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, June 22, 2006 by ed:
from SUN

'DAVID BECKHAM and Steven Gerrard had a training ground bust-up before the
Sweden draw. Gerrard got annoyed as he felt England’s captain was hitting too
many long balls during games. Becks had a pop back and the pair had a frank
exchange over tactics in front of the other squad members. But England’s
coaching staff are not overly concerned, viewing the clash as a healthy,
spirited discussion between two of the country’s most senior players. Their
flare-up was quickly settled but demonstrated the underlying will to get
tactics spot-on as Sven Goran Eriksson’s men continue to chase World Cup glory.
Liverpool star Gerrard’s anger was sparked by him wanting the ball played more
through midfield. And that is what happened as England came within a couple of
minutes of beating their Group B rivals on Tuesday.'

---------------------------------
[10] FREE £10 BET
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, June 22, 2006 by ed:
When you plan to have a bet - use Sporting Odds through us

 http://www.sportingodds.com/index.asp?tpid=2983
http://www.sportingodds.com/index.asp?tpid=2983

---------------------------------
[9] Rio on Owen Hargreaves
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, June 22, 2006 by ed:
 "Owen Hargreaves deserves a mention because he's had a lot of stick from
certain quarters and hasn't been in a position to prove himself in the England
team. He's done well in the Bayern Munich team. He's played very well for them.
They are one of the top teams in Europe and he consistently plays in that team.
For people to get on his case before he even had chance to prove himself was a
bit disappointing but against Sweden he showed a lot of people he can play
football. We defended set-pieces very poorly for the whole of the game and
that's not something you can normally say about an England team. But on the
other hand, it's better it happening now than in the next game where you're
going to be out if you make mistakes. Sweden put good delivery into the box but
at the same time we didn't defend like we normally would. It's something we
have to look at in the next couple of days. It was just a slight twinge and for
precautionary reasons I had to come off. Hopefully it doesn't get any worse and
it gets better in the next couple of days. I felt it at half-time a little bit
but normally when you get things like that you can get through it. It started
to get a touch worse as the game went on."

---------------------------------
[8] Ecuador on Rooney
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, June 22, 2006 by ed:
Ecuador's Ulises De La Cruz

"The fact he is not totally fit gives us a boost. Perhaps I can give his foot a
kick to test it out. I will certainly do my best to see if he is 100% fit or
not."

---------------------------------
[7] Subscribe today
Mastercard, Amex, Switch or Solo. Or send sterling cheque to Red News, P.o.Box
176, Manchester, M16 8LG.

Prices are as follows, please fill in the price column online accordingly

Ypur support keeps this website alive. Let us develop and grow and provide even
more news! 100% Independent. 100% Unofficial. Let's keep it that way.

RN 126 Summer Mag. By Mail Order only. Out end of June
RN 125 out May 7th
RN 124. 1976 Cup Final interviews
[...]

 http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/shopec68.htmency_code=GBP
http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/shopec68.htmency_code=GBP

NEW UNOFFICIAL ALTERNATIVE SHIRTS

 http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/shop64.htm
http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/shop64.htm

 http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/shop65.htm
http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/shop65.htm

---------------------------------
[6] Michael Stewart signs new 1 year deal at Hibs
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, June 22, 2006 by ed:
Hibernian manager Tony Mowbray

"Michael had missed a lot of football and we tried to give him as many games as
we could to get him up to speed, to get him back in the groove. This coming
season will be a big one for him. He knows he has to impress and yet when
everyone is fit he knows there will be strong competition to get into our
midfield. He is relishing that challenge. He thinks he has a lot more to come
and if that is the case we will look forward to seeing it.  He was good at
times last season and at other times you could see he had not played a lot of
football. Now I am looking forward to seeing if he can push on and find a
consistency of performance level to cement a place in the side."

---------------------------------
[5] Bayern boss on Ruud
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, June 22, 2006 by ed:
Bayern Munich coach Felix Magath

"Ruud van Nistelrooy is one of the best strikers in the world and the chance of
working with a top player like him doesn't come around every day"

---------------------------------
[4] FREE £40 matched Bet. Get on it!
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, June 22, 2006 by ed:
 http://www.kqzyfj.com/click-2051413-10351781

 http://www.anrdoezrs.net/click-795737-10351781
Check http://www.rednews.co.uk to view the image which has been removed from
plain text email version of news

---------------------------------
[3] New readers get on this. 5 mags... for just £5!
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, June 22, 2006 by ed:
There are now 5 Red News' from last season still available... and you can get
ALL 5 for JUST £5 INCLUDING p&p in UK... £9 ROW... and when you order you get
FREE entry into our VIP Forum for a month. What a bargain!

Never read the mag? Or just missed out this season? Then order the 5 available
Red News' from this season (including the Bestie tribute comes with the 5 as
well) for JUST £5 in the UK INCLUDING p&p and £9 ROW (inc p&p). You also then
qualify for a free months entry into our news breaking VIP Forum.

Order here - product code 5OFFER

To order a single copy click on

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_xclick&business=rednewsweb%40mac%2ecom&item_name=Red%20News%20Single%20Copy%20Order&item_number=Red%20News%20Single%20Copy%20Order&no_shipping=0&no_note=1&currency_code=GBP&bn=PP%2dBuyNowBF&charset=UTF%2d8

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_xclick&business=rednewsweb%40mac%2ecom&item_name=Red%20News%20Single%20Copy%20Order&item_number=Red%20News%20Single%20Copy%20Order&no_shipping=0&no_note=1&currency_code=GBP&bn=PP%2dBuyNowBF&charset=UTF%2d8

---------------------------------
[2] Times on transfers
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, June 22, 2006 by ed:
'MANCHESTER UNITED are considering a move for Marcos Senna, the Spain midfield
player. Sir Alex Ferguson has already lined up Michael Carrick for a transfer
to Old Trafford and sees Senna as a dynamic accomplice.

The Brazilian-born player has spent the past four years playing for Villarreal
and has impressed so much in recent months that he has forced his way into the
Spanish national team at the age of 29. He was in the starting line-up for his
country’s first two matches in the World Cup finals, although he was replaced
at half-time by Francesc Fàbregas, of Arsenal, against Tunisia on Monday
evening.

Ferguson, who is still seeking to replace Roy Keane, has made signing two
midfield players his priority. Carrick will move from Tottenham Hotspur for
about £12 million and the United manager wants a durable player alongside him.
John Obi Mikel, the young Nigerian, would have been the ideal long-term
solution but he has joined Chelsea from Lyn Oslo, the Norwegian club, with
United receiving £12 million as a settlement after a protracted row.

After looking at a number of players, Senna, who has two years left on his
contract, is now being given the most serious consideration. However, the move
could depend on the transfer fee demanded by Villarreal. The Spanish club value
him at around £8 million but United will want to pay half that.

Neither Carrick nor Senna could be regarded as A-list players in a summer when
Chelsea have signed Michael Ballack, Andriy Shevchenko and Mikel at huge cost.

But Ferguson must work within a budget and that has already scuppered a move
for Mahamadou Diarra, the midfield player whom Lyons valued at £20 million.

The return of Paul Scholes and Alan Smith from long-term injuries should
reinforce Ferguson’s squad, but there is unlikely to be any big-name arrival at
Old Trafford even if Ruud van Nistelrooy departs. '

---------------------------------
[1] Retro '68 shirts
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, June 22, 2006 by ed:
Short Sleeve 1968 ECF top WITH full Embroidery. HIGHEST QUALITY

ONLY £22.50 including postage and packing!

Available in Medium, Large and Extra-Large sizes. Royal ECF Blue. Please
specify SIZE when ordering.

Click on  http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/shopec02.htm
http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/shopec02.htm for badge detail

Price: £22.50 inc. p&p in UK
(Europe add £2 / ROW add £4) - please fill in the price column and product code
online accordingly.

Prod. Code: RNE02

You can order by credit card - Visa, Mastercard, Amex, Switch or Solo.

Check http://www.rednews.co.uk to view the image which has been removed from
plain text email version of news

Just mark the product code - RNE02 - when ordering below.

Click on

https://www.paypal.com/xclick/business=rednewsweb%40aol.com&undefined_quantity=1&item_name=RN+T-Shirts&item_number=RN+T-Shirts&cn=State+Product+Code+of+T-Shirt&currency_code=GBP

https://www.paypal.com/xclick/business=rednewsweb%40aol.com&undefined_quantity=1&item_name=RN+T-Shirts&item_number=RN+T-Shirts&cn=State+Product+Code+of+T-Shirt&currency_code=GBP

Long Sleeve 1968 ECF top WITH full Embroidery. HIGHEST QUALITY

ONLY £25.00 including postage and packing!

Available in Medium, Large and Extra-Large sizes. Royal ECF Blue. Please
specify SIZE when ordering.

Click on  http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/shopec02.htm
http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/shopec02.htm for badge detail

Price: £25.00 inc. p&p in UK
(Europe add £2 / ROW add £4) - please fill in the price column and product code
online accordingly.

Prod. Code: RNE03

You can order by credit card - Visa, Mastercard, Amex, Switch or Solo.

Check http://www.rednews.co.uk to view the image which has been removed from
plain text email version of news

Just mark the product code - RNE03 - when ordering below.

Click on

https://www.paypal.com/xclick/business=rednewsweb%40aol.com&undefined_quantity=1&item_name=RN+T-Shirts&item_number=RN+T-Shirts&cn=State+Product+Code+of+T-Shirt&currency_code=GBP

https://www.paypal.com/xclick/business=rednewsweb%40aol.com&undefined_quantity=1&item_name=RN+T-Shirts&item_number=RN+T-Shirts&cn=State+Product+Code+of+T-Shirt&currency_code=GBP

---------------------------------
[30] Oxford Mail on Rooney injury
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, June 21, 2006 by ed:
'Weeks of almost hysterical debate over the state of Wayne Rooney's foot injury
could have been avoided if an Oxfordshire firm's invention had been adopted
sooner.

Scientists at Oxford MediStress based at Upper Heyford have developed a
technique for monitoring stress in athletes which bosses claim can help
identify whether they have fully recovered from injury.

Now Rooney's club Manchester United have agreed to a three month trial of the
system in time for the start of training for the new Premiership season next
month.

Dr David Sarphie, chief executive of Oxford MediStress said: "We are thrilled
about the opportunity to work with a football club as prestigious as Manchester
United.

"Our system will provide an invaluable assessment tool for the coaches and
medical staff."

"Our system will provide an invaluable assessment tool for the coaches and
medical staff."
Oxford MediStress chief executive Dr David Sarphie

The Player-Monitoring System works by taking a simple blood test and mixing it
with chemicals which allow an analysis of how stressed the player is.

The results are available in minutes so that training regimes can be altered,
if required.

Dr Sarphie added: "We are monitoring long-term recovery from injury as well. It
would have been a ideal tool for Rooney's injury as it looks at conditioning
and how the body is reacting and would have given much more effective evidence."

The system has already been used by elite swimmers and is generating a lot of
interest in atheltics circles, but the the trial with one of the biggest
football clubs in the world is a major break-through for the Oxford University
spin-out company which only started up about a year ago.

Scientists from the company based at the Cherwell Innovation Centre will work
with the Red Devils' training staff and club doctors to assess the players.

And Dr Sarphie has not ruled out working with manager Sir Alex Ferguson, who is
renowned for his high stress levels.

He added: "That is something we could certainly discuss but the key thing is
convincing him our system will provide him with useful information that he will
be able take advantage of in a team situation."

A club spokesman said no-one was available from the medical team to comment
until training began.'

---------------------------------
[29] Pubs by Lime Street station be on the look out for...
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, June 21, 2006 by ed:
BBC on those lovable rogues at work

'Thieves stole Jerzy Dudek's Champions League medal and football memorabilia
during a burglary at the Liverpool FC goalkeeper's home, it has emerged. They
struck at the footballer's home in Caldy, Wirral, last week while he was
visiting his native Poland.

Dudek returned to the UK on Tuesday and is said to be devastated by the theft,
which includes medals, watches and more than 100 goalkeeper shirts.

Merseyside Police is appealing for witnesses to the theft.

The Polish goalkeeper was one of the heroes of Liverpool's 2005 Champions
League final victory over AC Milan.

His wobbly leg routine was widely credited as a decisive factor in the penalty
shoot-out as he saved from striker Andriy Shevchenko.

Dudek's black Porsche Carrera was also taken during the burglary, which was
discovered on Monday by one of his friends.

Among the football memorabilia reportedly taken were both Premiership and
international shirts, a World Cup Final shirt from 2002, a Worthington Cup
Final Shirt and a pair of World Cup Final goalkeeper gloves.

Medals stolen included a Uefa Super Cup medal and a Worthington Cup medal.

The watches taken include a Cartier, a gold Omega watch, a Gucci, a Frank
Muller and a Rolex.

A spokesman for Liverpool FC said: "A lot of this stuff which has been stolen
is irreplaceable and you can't put a price on it. Jerzy is obviously devastated.

"We are talking about the memorabilia of someone's career and also a lifetime.

"Jerzy was made famous by what he did in the Champions League and for someone
to have gone into his house and stolen it is despicable.

"On behalf of the club and the player we would ask anyone with information to
contact either us or Merseyside police."

A Merseyside Police spokeswoman said they would be speaking with the victim on
Wednesday to find out exactly what was stolen.

"There were a large number of distinctive items of memorabilia stolen which
obviously have sentimental value to the owner," she said.

"If anyone spots them being sold on the internet or in the local shops or in
their local pub, it will be obvious that they are special items."

---------------------------------
[28] FA on Gary Nev
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, June 21, 2006 by ed:
"Rio Ferdinand and and Gary Neville's injuries were scanned today at the team's
base camp in Baden Baden. Both scans provided positive news. Rio picked up a
groin injury during the match with Sweden last night.  However, today's scan
result was clear. Rio will now continue to be assessed by the medical staff on
a daily basis ahead of Sunday's match with Ecuador. Gary Neville's scan was
also positive. His calf injury which has kept him out of the past two games
showed significant improvement. Gary will continue his rehab tommorow with
fieldwork under the supervision of physio Gary Lewin."

---------------------------------
[27] Neil Warnock on Nicky Butt rumours
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, June 21, 2006 by ed:
"I've not spoken to Nicky Butt and I've not thought about him. I've heard all
the talk and people can turn up at the ground to meet him if they like but
there won't be anybody there. With the wages I've seen mentioned (£20,000 a
week), I'd want three players in."

---------------------------------
[26] Van der Sar happy
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, June 21, 2006 by ed:
"Without doubt, the World Cup is the biggest thing you can win. It is bigger
than the Champions League. That competition is held every year, there is always
a winner. It is the same with the domestic championships. The World Cup is
every four years and no-one from Holland has ever won it, so it is easy to
understand what an achievement it would be. As a boy, you just want to be a
professional footballer, then you want to play for the biggest club side, then
you want to play for your country. But I have been involved with the Holland
squad for 11 years now, so I was quite determined to break Frank's record and
maybe I have been a little bit more focussed than usual in getting through to
the second round."

---------------------------------
[25] Sven on Rio
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, June 21, 2006 by ed:
"I don't think it's a big injury. We tried it but it did not get better but I
think he will be all right. He had a little groin problem which we knew about
at half-time. He got some treatment on it but we didn't want to risk it."

Onspeed - cheap broadband like speeds for dial up users, only £24.99 a year!

 http://www.tkqlhce.com/click-795737-10385148

Check http://www.rednews.co.uk to view the image which has been removed from
plain text email version of news

 http://www.kqzyfj.com/click-795737-10378344 "Broadband Speeds for £24.99 a
Year"
Check http://www.rednews.co.uk to view the image which has been removed from
plain text email version of news

---------------------------------
[24] Red News Summer Mag. Not on sale at any game. Order here
---------------------------------
[...]

[23] Telegraph on Ronaldo
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, June 21, 2006 by ed:
'This World Cup is finally making a man of Cristiano Ronaldo.

After thumping in that penalty against Iran to secure Portugal's qualification
for the second round for the first time in 40 years, he sank to his knees with
a cathartic roar.

The heavy weight of responsibility had fallen on him and with uncharacteristic
courage he had made light of the load.

It was a moment of genuine vindication: with the Portuguese press grumbling, he
was one pointless step-over away from being dropped after being substituted in
the previous game with Angola.

However, coach Luiz Felipe Solari asked him to play through the pain of a thigh
strain and his faith in the 21-year-old winger paid off.

 Now, brimming with confidence in his undoubted abilities, he could seize this
competition by the throat.

Ronaldo has always been fragile, though. His father, Dinis Aveiro, named him
after his favourite actor, Ronald Reagan, but any hopes that his son would
resemble the macho gun-slingers of Reagan's cowboy roles were quickly dispelled.

As an eight year-old playing for amateur club Andorinho, where Dinis was the
kitman, Ronaldo would immediately burst into tears if his side lost.

Eleven years later, his former coach at Andorinho, Rui Santos, was stunned to
see the same reaction from Ronaldo after Portugal had lost the final of Euro
2004 to Greece.

His more senior Portuguese team-mates had to tend to him like a child.

At Sporting Lisbon's academy, Ronaldo was mercilessly teased for his provincial
accent and the club's child psychologists suggested he could use more support.

His mother was flown in from Madeira. It is perhaps this sort of pampering that
has impeded the fulfilment of his talent: Sporting's doctors would not let him
play the full 90 minutes until he was 17 for fear of stunting his growth.

It is little wonder that he has such a streak of spoiled petulance in his game.

It did not help when it was revealed that part of the reason Ruud van
Nistelrooy was being pushed out of Old Trafford was for reducing Ronaldo to
tears with his dressing-room banter.

At club level, Sir Alex Ferguson has effectively chosen the winger above Van
Nistelrooy and his form in the latter half of the season was much improved.
Showiness began to give way to effectiveness.

But it has been the international game that has coaxed Ronaldo out of
adolescence. Just hours after his father's death last September, he took to the
field for a crucial World Cup qualifier with Russia. His hide was beginning to
thicken.

The burden on Ronaldo is increased by the absence of the inspirational Deco,
who is one yellow card away from suspension. Scolari will also rest Costinha
and Pauleta for the same reason.'

---------------------------------
[22] THE BEST
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, June 21, 2006 by ed:
The Best

Check http://www.rednews.co.uk to view the image which has been removed from
plain text email version of news

M, L (28 inches high, 22 inches wide), XL (29 inches high, 24 inches wide) and
XXL sizes available

Just £15 inc p&p UK, £17 ROW - product code is, simply, BEST

You can order by sending a cheque to Red News, P.O.Box 176, Manchester, M16 8LG.

Alternatively you can order by credit card - Visa, Mastercard, Amex, Switch or
Solo - for any one or any number of the shirts/hoods via the fast, safe and
secure paypal.

Just make sure you enter the correct product code for each shirt/hoodie (listed
on the shop part of the site) when ordering, together with the size (if others
than extra large are available, check on each specific item if that is the
case) and the correct price - please fill in the price column online
accordingly. Prices includes postage and packing.

Click on

https://www.paypal.com/xclick/business=rednewsweb%40aol.com&undefined_quantity=1&item_name=RN+T-Shirts&item_number=RN+T-Shirts&cn=State+Product+Code+of+T-Shirt&currency_code=GBP

https://www.paypal.com/xclick/business=rednewsweb%40aol.com&undefined_quantity=1&item_name=RN+T-Shirts&item_number=RN+T-Shirts&cn=State+Product+Code+of+T-Shirt&currency_code=GBP

---------------------------------
[21] Dwight Yorke retires from international football
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, June 21, 2006 by ed:
"I have played football for over 20 years as a professional and these have been
the best times of my life. I can only thank everyone for their support. It is
an emotional occasion for me because it may be the last time I play for my
country. I will discuss the situation with my family but I have no problem with
that."

---------------------------------
[20] Non Ronaldo story from SUN
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, June 21, 2006 by ed:
'CRISTIANO RONALDO could be on a new collision course with boss Phil Scolari as
Portugal bid to top Group D.

Scolari plans to rest several key stars who have picked up bookings for this
afternoon’s clash against Mexico in Gelsenkirchen.

Manchester United winger Ronaldo is one of them but threw a tantrum when he was
substituted in his first World Cup match against Angola.

The Portuguese are already through and will face Argentina or Holland in a
tantalising second-round match.

But hardliner ‘Big Phil’ Scolari said: “We’ll look at the yellow card situation
and the players’ fitness. We don’t need to take huge risks. We know that later
we have to play a knockout game.”

Midfield schemer Deco and all-time leading goalscorer Pauleta may also sit out
the match to avoid copping a one- match ban in the knockout stage.

Ronaldo, 21, scored his first World Cup goal from the penalty spot against Iran
after making peace with Scolari — but he is determined to impress in the
finals.'

 http://www.dpbolvw.net/click-795737-10306273

 http://www.tkqlhce.com/click-795737-10357057 Up to 8Mbps Broadband
Check http://www.rednews.co.uk to view the image which has been removed from
plain text email version of news

---------------------------------
[19] Rio on groin injury
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, June 21, 2006 by ed:
“I felt it at half-time. I tried to play on but it got worse and worse and I
had to come off. We will have to give it a couple of days and I just hope I am
OK for the Ecuador game.”

---------------------------------
[18] Juve could be relegated
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, June 21, 2006 by ed:
from Times

'A CORRUPTION investigation by the Italian FA has a weight of evidence against
Juventus, possibly condemning the Serie A champions to relegation, newspaper
reports have said.
The report by Francesco Saverio Borrelli, the Italian FA’s investigator, also
appeared to threaten AC Milan’s Serie A status. “Juve trembles, Milan in
trouble” was the headline in Corriere dello Sport.

The scandal — the largest in Italian football history — involves allegations of
match-fixing, illegal betting and manipulation of referee assignments.
Juventus, who won a record 29th title last season, face relegation — possibly
to the third division — and Milan could be demoted to Serie B. Lazio and
Fiorentina have also been implicated but to a lesser degree.

Stefano Balducci, an Italian FA official, said that the report has been passed
to magistrates, who will decide by the end of the week which teams, if any,
should stand trial. The decision could come as soon as today, with any trials
beginning next week.

According to the newspapers, Borrelli’s report suggested that the wrongdoing
was not related to single matches but was “structured”. The report concluded
that there was a “code of compliance and solidarity” among Italy’s elite clubs
and “a structure of bribery”, Balducci said. He gave warning, however, that
those were Borrelli’s opinions.

Yesterday, Didier Deschamps, the former France captain, said that he has been
asked to coach Juventus if the club are relegated. Deschamps told La Gazzetta
dello Sport that the club, for whom he played between 1994 and 1999, had
contacted him to replace Fabio Capello, the coach, if they were demoted.'

For United books, videos, DVDs etc http://www.rednews.co.uk/ama.php?id=amazon

http://us.click.yahoo.com/6pRQfA/fOaOAA/yQLSAA/GtUolB/TM