&no
RED NEWS - MUFC Daily News by Email.
For the very latest news, the forum, and more check out the website at
http://www.rednews.co.uk
For United books, videos, DVDs etc http://www.rednews.co.uk/ama.php?id=amazon

---------------------------------
[1] Lack of news
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, July 14, 2006 by Garryowen:
The Ed has gone on a well deserved and long overdue holiday. It means that
until July 15th news here will be sporadic at best. We'll try our best but
please bear with us and be patient and understanding. Normal service will
resume from July 15th but we'll do our best in the meantime with United news on
what is now known as the best United website on the planet!

In the meantime why not give the whole of Red News a tonic and order something
- including the summer mag out July 14th - which helps support this site, keeps
it alive and will give the Ed a smile when he returns to bring you extensive
news day-in, day-out, 24-7.

Red News Summer Edition. RN 126. Available July 14th.

In the UK £2.50 inc p&p each copy
ROW £3.50 inc p&p  each copy

To order click on

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_xclick&business=rednewsweb%40mac%2ecom&item_name=Red%20News%20Single%20Copy%20Order&item_number=Red%20News%20Single%20Copy%20Order&no_shipping=0&no_note=1&currency_code=GBP&bn=PP%2dBuyNowBF&charset=UTF%2d8

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_xclick&business=rednewsweb%40mac%2ecom&item_name=Red%20News%20Single%20Copy%20Order&item_number=Red%20News%20Single%20Copy%20Order&no_shipping=0_note=1&currency_code=GBP&bn=PP%2dBuyNowBF&charset=UTF%2d8

5 Red News' from last season for JUST £5 INCLUDING p&p in UK... £9 ROW...

Order here - product code 5OFFER

To order a single copy click on

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_xclick&business=rednewsweb%40mac%2ecom&item_name=Red%20News%20Single%20Copy%20Order&item_number=Red%20News%20Single%20Copy%20Order&no_shipping=0&no_note=1&currency_code=GBP&bn=PP%2dBuyNowBF&charset=UTF%2d8

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_xclick&business=rednewsweb%40mac%2ecom&item_name=Red%20News%20Single%20Copy%20Order&item_number=Red%20News%20Single%20Copy%20Order&no_shipping=0&no_note=1&currency_code=GBP&bn=PP%2dBuyNowBF&charset=UTF%2d8

*******

Subscribe to Red News.

UK 10 issue sub £25.00 inc p&p
Europe 10 issue sub £30.00 inc p&p
Rest Of The World 10 issue sub £35.00 inc p&p

And those kind hearted souls out there can help with our costs by making an
online donation via paypal. Doesn't matter how small the amount is, every bit
helps with our costs - thanks. click on.

https://www.paypal.com/xclick/business=rednewsweb%40aol.com&item_name=Red+News+donation&item_number=RN+donation&cn=Donate+to+Online+or+Fanzine%3F&tax=0&curr

https://www.paypal.com/xclick/business=rednewsweb%40aol.com&item_name=Red+News+donation&item_number=RN+donation&cn=Donate+to+Online+or+Fanzine%3F&tax=0&curr

All our t-shirts - Some classic designs

 http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/shoptsht.htm
http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/shoptsht.htm

ECF '68 High Quality retro Shirts with Hand Embroided Crest. Order by credit
card or cheque at...

 http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/shopec68.htmency_code=GBP
http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/shopec68.htmency_code=GBP

NEW UNOFFICIAL ALTERNATIVE SHIRTS

 http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/shop64.htm
http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/shop64.htm

 http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/shop65.htm
http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/shop65.htm

Back Issues

 http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/shopsub2.htm
http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/shopsub2.htm

****

Have a FREE World Cup bet

When you plan to have a bet - use Sporting Odds through us

 http://www.sportingodds.com/index.asp?tpid=2983
http://www.sportingodds.com/index.asp?tpid=2983

 http://www.kqzyfj.com/click-2051413-10351781

Check http://www.rednews.co.uk to view the image which has been removed from
plain text email version of news

 http://www.anrdoezrs.net/click-795737-10351781
Check http://www.rednews.co.uk to view the image which has been removed from
plain text email version of news

---------------------------------
[1] Lack of news
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, July 13, 2006 by Garryowen:
[...]

[3] Lack of news
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, July 12, 2006 by jvs:
[...]

[2] MEN on the Gimps debt restructuring
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, July 10, 2006 by tb:
NITED owner Malcolm Glazer is plotting a huge new financial deal that will pay
off the club's debts but also "mortgage its future" according to opponents of
the American tycoon.

M.E.N. Sport understands United are set to almost double the £254m of debt
sitting against the club's name - but in return will be able to get rid of the
current high-interest loans which would have led the club into a debt minefield.

But opponents of the Glazer regime believe the moves will further reduce the
club's chances of competing with Chelsea and Real Madrid in the transfer
market, and will lead to further ticket price rises and maybe even a push to
form a European super league.

"The Glazers have done the equivalent of taking Carol Vorderman's advice and
consolidated their loans," says Colin Hendrie of the Independent Manchester
United Supporters Association (IMUSA).

Chunk

The Glazers paid for their takeover by borrowing £254m from investment bankers
JP Morgan, a loan secured against the club's assets, and around £275m from
US-based "hedge funds" and secured against the family's own assets.

Now, according to Wall Street sources, the American tycoon and his family are
planning to take out a loan, as high as £500m and possibly over a 25-year
period, in the form of bonds to be sold to a bank or other financial
institution.

That money would be used to pay off the JP Morgan debt and a sizeable chunk of
the hedge fund debt - which has interest rates as high as 20 per cent - and
leave them with more manageable interest rates of six per cent or less.

A banker with links to the Glazers said: "Securitisation of future ticket sales
is being looked at very closely. But Manchester United management is very
comfotable with its existing financial structure. However anything that reduces
the cost of capital is clearly a good thing."

But opponents of the Glazer regime claim the re-structuring of the debt amounts
to a further gamble with the club, and point out that any failings on the field
could lead to the club crashing and burning in the same way Leeds United have
done.

Anti-Glazer fan groups argue that the new United loans will leave less money
for incoming player transfers, increasing the risk that United will not qualify
for Europe - and that would have serious financial ramifications.

Says Hendrie: "By releasing bonds they're just borrowing new money to pay off
old loans. The debt is still there, it hasn't gone away.

Outstanding

"Every penny that is paid in interest or used to pay back the outstanding loans
is money that can't be spent on players. The playing staff has been cut to the
bone, just at a time when real investment is needed.

"The fans want success for the team.

"In days gone by, the money raised by ticket price rises would have been used
to finance that success. The Glazers' big gamble is on whether the fans they
have turned into customers will keep coming back when ticket prices keep rising
and the team is no longer doing as well as it once did."

A spokesman for the Glazers denied that any re-financing deal has been struck,
but said: "By the end of the year there will be some form of re-financing".

M.E.N. Sport understands that a major UK bank has already been approached to
handle the matter - and the favourites appear to be Royal Bank of Scotland, who
recently completed a similar £260m deal to finance the building of Arsenal's
new Emirates Stadium.

The deal would involve United channelling some of their revenue streams - such
as income from executive boxes, from food outlet franchising or from ticket
sales - into repaying the new loan.

Critics of the Glazer regime believe it will lead to further ticket price
hikes, and maybe even a push for a European super league, as a means of
increasing revenue.

But re-financing is about to happen, and that is because United are, according
to a spokesman, in a much healthier financial position than they were when the
takeover occurred in May, 2005.

One United source says that the original deal to buy the club was struck
without the banks involved having seen the detail in United's financial books,
as they were forbidden by the plc board which then ran the club.

As a result, the greater risks were reflected in high-interest loans.

Now the Glazers have their feet under the boardroom table, and are able to
display the apparent solidity of United's business, they can re-structure the
loans.

United point out that since the takeover, income has increased due to the
Premiership negotiating a better deal for TV rights, the expansion of the
ground and its executive facilities, and to the increase in ticket prices and
car parking charges.

---------------------------------
[1] One of Ronaldo's 'friends'
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, July 10, 2006 by tb:
As the Sun reckons he'll go awol, rather than return.

“Ronaldo wants to play for Real Madrid and Ferguson must understand it is
impossible for him to go back now.

“He knows how the fans in England feel about him now and it’s best if
Manchester United don’t make things more difficult for him."

---------------------------------
[6] Massive signing ???
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, July 6, 2006 by jvs:
Courtesy of a forumite:

David James was at Majeski Stadium yesterday (Wednesday) he signed on the
dotted line and will be playing for Reading Football Club this coming season.
signing on fee was £2.00! (OK sorry I couldn't resist that) my source actually
said £2million but I am assuming that was a slip of the tongue)

I dont know who is doing the news during DB's vacation but he (DB) has
previously been informed about this source Get it on news page it's a good
exclusive for RN.

This willl be announced later on Thursday or possibly even Friday (they like to
leak snippetts about a "big story" exclusive on the Reading FC website to get
people to register... in this case something like
"Reading's biggest ever signing"! player set to put "pen to paper" in this
historical moment in Readings long 134 year history! The huge world football
star has agreed terms and is set to fly into the UK as soon as his Germany
world cup 2006 duties have been fulfulled!

---------------------------------
[5] Pot calling kettle...
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, July 6, 2006 by jvs:
>From the Guardian:

Chelsea last night responded to claims by the new Real Madrid president that
Arjen Robben wants a transfer to the Bernabéu by lodging an official complaint
with Fifa.
Juán Ramón Calderón was elected to the Bernabéu presidency on Sunday night and
his first act yesterday was to install Fabio Capello as Madrid's new manager on
a three-year contract. Calderón then generated uproar at two leading European
clubs by insinuating that his staff had made approaches to players without
having obtained their employers' prior permission.
Calderón's claim that his election team, from whose ranks Predrag Mijatovic has
become Madrid's technical director, had made contact with Robben, immediately
drew a furious response from the Holland winger's club, Chelsea.
"We're trying to bring three [new players] here and Robben is the first one,"
Calderón said to Sky Sports News yesterday. "Mijatovic has been at a match in
Germany with [Chelsea's owner] Roman Abramovich and in theory Mijatovic told us
we can reach an agreement. We have been in touch with the player and it seems
that [Robben] wants to come here."
It has been a traditional transfer tactic in Madrid to make public statements
about players in the hope that being linked with the world's most glamorous
club would unsettle them. However the admission of what would seem to amount to
illegal talks is a breathtakingly bold new strategy.
"There have been no meetings or conversations between the Real Madrid sporting
director Predrag Mijatovic and any Chelsea officials, anyone mandated to act on
Chelsea's behalf or Roman Abramovich about Arjen's future," said Chelsea's
chief executive Peter Kenyon yesterday. "Mr Calderón confirms that Real Madrid
have spoken to Arjen.
"As a result of these various comments Chelsea will be writing to Fifa to ask
them to investigate an illegal approach for our player by Real Madrid. We will
not be entertaining any offers for Arjen."
Kenyon has ordered for a tape of the interview to be forwarded to Fifa along
with the complaint, and the world governing body will await receipt of
Chelsea's submission before acting on the accusations. It is unlikely that
Calderón's comments were anything but calculated, however, since the Madrid
chairman will surely have been aware that Milan had already registered a
separate complaint about his club's conduct with regard to their Brazil
international Kaka.
The Italian club lodged its objections to Fifa during the presidential hustings
last month since the promise of Kaka's transfer was being used as an election
ticket for several of the candidates. Now Calderón appears to have confirmed
the suspicions of the San Siro.
"[Another Madrid transfer target] is Kaka, the Brazilian player in Milan," he
added. "We know it's going to be difficult because Milan doesn't want to sell."
That may change if Milan suffer enforced relegation as a result of alleged
match fixing in Italy, now the subject of a criminal investigation in Rome.
Yet Madrid seemed most confident of their chances of enlisting Arsenal's Cesc
Fábregas. The 19-year-old's agent revealed earlier this week that he had
received an approach from the new Bernabéu authorities but emphasised that
Arsenal would not sell him for "all the gold in the world".
"Cesc Fabregas wants to come here," Calderón said. "We now have to get in touch
with Arsenal. I know Mijatovic has been in touch with his representative and he
said that he is very much interested in joining Real Madrid. I haven't been in
touch with David Dein. He is a good friend of mine."
Despite the strength of Calderón's comments about their player Arsenal are
confident in the sanctity of the contract they hold with the 19-year-old
midfielder, which runs to 2011.
The attraction that Madrid presents players has surely been enhanced by the
arrival at the Bernabéu of Capello, who yesterday agreed a three-year contract
after quitting Juventus on Tuesday. Calderon added: "He will be here for three
years. He is a winner, and this is important at this club after three years
without a title."
Capello is believed to have identified Chelsea's Ricardo Carvalho and
Juventus's Gianluca Zambrotta as other players he would like to take to Madrid.
He will then discuss the possibility of signing Ruud van Nistelrooy from
Manchester United and Lyon's Mahamadou Diarra.

---------------------------------
[4] Ronaldo not bothered about boos
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, July 6, 2006 by jvs:
I was pleased about being booed," he said. "I am a dangerous player. And maybe
the French fans were upset to see a dangerous player.

"It doesn't worry me. I'm just here to do my job and try and help the team."

---------------------------------
[3] Ronaldo on last night
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, July 6, 2006 by jvs:
"We played well and did our best but the referee didn't help us."

"Everyone who saw the match could see that the referee wasn't fair."

"He should have shown yellow cards but he did not because Portugal is a small
country. We just have to carry on working and then we will be a big country."

"Portugal showed that they can play good football."

"France were no better than we were. They got a penalty but not much else."

"We are disappointed not to reach the final after such a match. We really
wanted to go through but didn't make it. It is the end of our dream. But we
have to congratulate France."

---------------------------------
[2] Real President on Ruud
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, July 6, 2006 by jvs:
"Ruud van Nistelrooy is one of the options but it depends on Capello.

"We have to chat with him this evening when Capello is here. It is something we
have to consider very carefully."

---------------------------------
[1] Info on news posting
---------------------------------
[...]

[6] Charlie wants top job.
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, July 5, 2006 by jvs:
>From Sky Sports:

Veteran midfielder Paul Ince has thrown his hat in the ring for the vacant
manager's job at Wolverhampton Wanderers.

The Championship side are searching for a quick replacement for the departed
Glenn Hoddle, and club captain Ince is now hoping to fill the vacancy.

The former England star has strong support amongst the fans of the Midlands
side and agent Steve Kutner has confirmed he has composed an application on
Ince's behalf.

"Because he has had such overwhelming support from the fans, I have drawn up a
letter confirming he would like to be considered for the manager's position,"
said Kutner.

"Paul is flattered that people would like him to be the next manager of
Wolves."

The club are already talking with Ince regarding an extension of his playing
contract, and chief executive Jez Moxey is keen to wrap up the managerial
situation as soon as possible.

"As far as I am concerned we have to move quickly," said the Wolves supremo.

Over 20 candidates have already applied for the post at the Championship side.

---------------------------------
[5] Rio embarrassed
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, July 5, 2006 by jvs:
>From the Sun:

"I'm gutted. I genuinely went into this tournament believing that we would get
to the semi-finals at least - and I would have been disappointed with that,"

"It's embarrassing if I'm being honest. I was a bit embarrassed to set foot
outside the door when I went shopping with my girlfriend Rebecca.

"If I was a fan I would be desperately disappointed. I would have expected more
than what we gave them.

"We didn't do ourselves justice. Individually we have a lot of fantastic
players but it's about being able to gel in all departments as a team and we
didn't do that.

"The whole way through the tournament the thing that let us down was that we
didn't finish teams off.

"It will take a long time to get over it. I expected so much and so did our
support

---------------------------------
[4] Gary on the 'golden generation'
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, July 5, 2006 by jvs:
"I still think there is a little bit left in the golden generation. I don't
think it is the end of the golden generation.

"But we all know this World Cup was a big chance for us. It was on European
soil and we cruised through to the quarter-final without even having to
perform. It is another lost opportunity - one of many because we have got good
players.

"We start again with a new manager in four or five weeks' time and a friendly
against Greece. We are suffering now but we have to pick ourselves up and go
again.

"You move on. I start pre-season training again on July 24 with United and, I
know it may sound wrong, but you have to start thinking about that, your
preparation, getting yourself ready to go again.

"It's the English mentality. You pick yourself up and you fight back. You don't
give anything away.

"England always go again. What else can we do? You can't give in and say
`that's it, we are going to stop playing football'.

"It's a proud football nation. It has suffered more than this and it will
suffer again I am sure but we will bounce back and keep striving."

---------------------------------
[3] Gary wont quit
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, July 5, 2006 by jvs:
"Perhaps I have played in my last World Cup finals but I have said always I
will never retire from international football.

"It's not Gary Neville's right to retire from international football.

"While I'm still playing football for any club then I will be available for my
country. That is the way it has always been and always will be with me."

---------------------------------
[2] Blatter just can't keep his mouth shut
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, July 5, 2006 by jvs:
"The referee was touching distance from the players and he took the decision
according to what he saw," he said.

"The referee's decision is final and I have not seen any protest from fans or
even team-mates on the field of play."

---------------------------------
[1] Important information regarding the news
---------------------------------
[...]

[8] Hargreaves
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, July 4, 2006 by Garryowen:
The Premiership big guns were on red alert last night after Owen Hargreaves
admitted he would love a move to the Premiership. The 24-year-old German-based
star is reluctant to exchange Bayern Munich for a team not playing in the
Champions League, which would mean he would only be interested in Chelsea,
Manchester United, Liverpool and Arsenal. Hargreaves said: "It would be great
to play in the Premiership, but it hasn't happened so far. Bayern are a massive
club in Europe, competing for the Champions League every year. It would be
difficult to leave just to go to any club in England."
Daily Star

---------------------------------
[7] Rooney
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, July 4, 2006 by Garryowen:
Wayne Rooney last night told of his anguish at being sent off during Saturday's
World Cup quarter-final with Portugal - but insisted he did nothing wrong. And
he laid into Manchester United team-mate Cristiano Ronaldo over his 40-yard
dash to urge the referee to take action in the wake of the foul, declaring the
Portuguese winger should have kept his nose out. Rooney said: "When the referee
produced the red card I was amazed, gobsmacked. I bear no ill feeling to
Cristiano but am disappointed that he chose to get involved. I suppose I do
though have to remember that on that particular occasion we were not
team-mates. I want to say absolutely categorically that I did not intentionally
put my foot down on Ricardo Carvalho. He slid in from behind and unfortunately
ended up in a position where my foot was inevitably going to end up as I kept
my balance. That's all there was to it."
Daily Mirror

---------------------------------
[6] Official site on Rossi contract
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, July 4, 2006 by Garryowen:
from manutd.com

Manchester United is delighted to announce that it has agreed terms with
Giuseppe Rossi of a further 2 years to his current contract. This will see
Giuseppe stay at the club until June 2010.

The 19-year-old striker joined United in July 2004 from Italian side Parma. He
made his Reds debut in the Carling Cup against Crystal Palace in November 2004.

In 2005/06 he made 12 appearances and scored four goals for the first-team, as
well as 30 goals in 28 starts for the Reserves.

Sir Alex Ferguson said: “We are delighted that he has signed a new contract, he
represents the future of the club. Last year he had a remarkable season and he
is developing all the time. Giuseppe is a fantastic talent and we see a great
future ahead for him.”

Giuseppe Rossi said: “It is great to have extended my contract with the best
team in the world.  I just hope to keep progressing and developing my career.”

---------------------------------
[5] Ref from saturday on sending off
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, July 4, 2006 by jvs:
>From the Times:

AS WAYNE ROONEY continued to protest his innocence yesterday, the referee who
sent him off in Gelsenkirchen maintained that it was the violence of the
striker’s clash with Ricardo Carvalho and not the vehemence of Portugal’s
protests that caused him to produce the red card that devastated England’s
hopes of reaching the World Cup semi-finals.

It is a reprieve for Cristiano Ronaldo, the Portugal winger accused of
deviously persuading Horacio Elizondo to dismiss Rooney on Saturday, but more
fuel for those who wish to give England’s tyro short shrift for his ruinously
short fuse.

outside his hotel in Frankfurt, Elizondo, the Argentinian in charge of
England’s quarter- final defeat, confirmed that he sent off Rooney for lashing
out with his boot and catching the defender in the groin, not for the
20-year-old’s push on Ronaldo. “It was violent play and therefore he got a red
card,” Elizondo said.

Ronaldo seemed to exhort the official to take action against Rooney, then
winked at the Portugal bench after the card was flourished, though both the
Manchester United team-mates were keen to dismiss talk of a feud last night.

“People can say what they want, but this had absolutely no influence,”
Elizondo, who had appeared unlikely to take any action until Ronaldo’s
intervention, said. “In general I don’t pay much attention to that sort of
thing because I don’t care about the pressure on my shoulders during a match.

“For me it was a clear red card, so I didn’t react to the Portuguese players.
There was pushing and shoving on both sides, but for me it wasn’t a reason to
caution anybody.”

As is standard practice, Fifa reviewed Elizondo’s performance and it is
understood that the governing body was pleased with his handling of the match,
making him a contender to take charge of the final. However, Ronaldo’s actions
might have brought him a yellow card.
Andreas Wurz, the Fifa spokesman for referees, said that, as a rule, if a
player exhorts a referee to produce a card, “that player must be cautioned. If
the player says ‘book him, book him’, this is not fair play. This is unsporting
conduct.”

Elizondo defended himself against accusations that he had failed to book
several of England’s opponents for diving. “I got advice from Fifa’s referees
committee that if there is a slight touch but it’s not a foul, then to say,
‘come on, get up’, and not give an immediate caution,” he said. “I only give
yellow cards for clear diving and I didn’t think there was any.”

The referee also stood by his decision to make Jamie Carragher retake England’s
fourth penalty during the shoot-out defeat, the Liverpool defender having his
second effort saved after scoring with his first attempt. “I didn’t blow my
whistle,” he said. “I had indicated from the first kick onwards to wait for the
whistle.”

Elizondo is an avid fan of English football. “I’m always watching the Premier
League on TV in Argentina and I know every single result from the first to the
last game,” he said. “I watched Portugal’s previous four matches in this
tournament so I’m well aware of their style of play and who’s in their line-up,
that goes for both teams.

“In general I’m very satisfied with the spirit of fair play in the match.
Sven-Göran Eriksson (the England head coach) went to the locker-room after the
match and congratulated me for an excellent performance and said that I was
right to send off Rooney because it was rough play.”

Urs Meier, the Swiss who disallowed Sol Campbell’s late header against Portugal
at Euro 2004, was inundated with hate mail and death threats from England fans
after a newspaper published his contact details, but Elizondo, a 42-year-old
poetry-writing PE teacher, professed to be unworried if a similar scenario
occurs.

“I’ve never thought about it and to be honest I don’t care,” he said. “If
people or newspapers would like to create stories like that, it’s up to them. I
really don’t care.”

---------------------------------
[4] Rossi Deal
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, July 4, 2006 by jvs:
>From Sky Sports:

Giuseppe Rossi has signed a new contract.  Details to follow soon.

---------------------------------
[3] Not exactly Barcelona
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, July 4, 2006 by jvs:
>From the BBC

Manchester United will play Uefa Cup holders Seville in a friendly to mark the
completion of an 8,000-seat extension at Old Trafford.
The new section takes the stadium's capacity to 76,000.

United play Seville on 12 August and the match will be preceded with the burial
of a time capsule to mark their achievements in the past 50 years.

Boss Sir Alex Ferguson said: "It's a good way to celebrate the club's
achievements in the past five decades."

---------------------------------
[2] Rooney on sending off
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, July 4, 2006 by jvs:
>From the BBC:

Striker Wayne Rooney said he was "gobsmacked" to be sent off for a stamp on
Ricardo Carvalho in England's World Cup quarter-final against Portugal.
And he insisted he was not angry with Cristiano Ronaldo, who appeared to
encourage the referee to send him off.

"I want to say absolutely categorically that I did not intentionally put my
foot down on Carvalho," said Rooney.

The 20-year-old added: "I bear no ill feeling to Cristiano but am disappointed
he chose to get involved."

England ended up losing 3-1 on penalties to Portugal having drawn 0-0 after
extra-time. Rooney's Manchester United team-mate Ronaldo scored the winning
spot-kick.

Sven-Goran Eriksson's men played the final hour of the match with 10 men after
Rooney's sending-off, but in a statement released on Monday, the striker said:
"When the referee produced the red card I was amazed - gobsmacked."

He added: "Obviously I'm bitterly disappointed to have been sent off in a World
Cup finals match for England.

 Truly if there was any justice, England would now be preparing for a World Cup
semi-final

Wayne Rooney
"I remember the incident clearly and have seen it several times since on TV,"
Rooney said.

"I am of the same opinion now as I was at the time that what happened didn't
warrant a red card. If anything, I feel we should have had a free-kick for the
fouls committed on me during the same incident.

"If you ask any player - and indeed almost any fan - they will tell you that I
am straight and honest in the way I play.

"From what I've seen in the World Cup, most players would have gone to ground
at the slightest contact but my only thought then was to keep possession for
England."

Rooney hailed his England team-mates, who fought valiantly to force extra-time
and penalties despite being a man down.

"I thought the England lads were awesome after I went off and the effort they
put in was amazing," he said.

"Truly if there was any justice England would now be preparing for a World Cup
semi-final. Sadly, however, that is not to be in 2006."

[1] Important. Please read with regard to news posting