RED NEWS - MUFC Daily News by Email.
For the very latest news, the forum, and more check out the website at
http://www.rednews.co.uk
For United books, videos, DVDs etc http://www.rednews.co.uk/ama.php?id=amazon

---------------------------------
[19] Order the Red News Summer Fanzine. ONLY available by mail order and not on
sale at any game
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, June 23, 2006 by ed:
The Red News Summer Special (issue 126) is out at the start of July and is ONLY
available by online or mail order. So order Red News 126 here! This will not be
sold at any game.

United's First Fanzine. Now 19 years old!

Without the fanzine, and your support, there is no website.

Either send sterling cheque for £2.50 to Red News, P.O.Box 176, Manchester, M16
8LG made payable to Red News) or by credit card below (or we can ring you and
process it ourselves - send us your number to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

100% Independent. 100% Unofficial. Let's keep it that way.

RN126 Out end of June
RN125 Out Sunday May 7th
RN 124 Still available
RN 123 Exclusive Ole interview Still available
RN 121 George Best tribute Still available
RN 120 Still available
RN 119 Still available

In the UK £2.50 inc p&p each copy
ROW £3.50 inc p&p  each copy

To order a single copy click on

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_xclick&business=rednewsweb%40mac%2ecom&item_name=Red%20News%20Single%20Copy%20Order&item_number=Red%20News%20Single%20Copy%20Order&no_shipping=0&no_note=1&currency_code=GBP&bn=PP%2dBuyNowBF&charset=UTF%2d8

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_xclick&business=rednewsweb%40mac%2ecom&item_name=Red%20News%20Single%20Copy%20Order&item_number=Red%20News%20Single%20Copy%20Order&no_shipping=0&no_note=1&currency_code=GBP&bn=PP%2dBuyNowBF&charset=UTF%2d8

UK 10 issue sub £25.00 inc p&p
Europe 10 issue sub £30.00 inc p&p
Rest Of The World 10 issue sub £35.00 inc p&p

All our t-shirts - Some classic designs

 http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/shoptsht.htm
http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/shoptsht.htm

ECF '68 High Quality retro Shirts with Hand Embroided Crest. Order by credit
card or cheque at...

 http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/shopec68.htm
http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/shopec68.htm

NEW UNOFFICIAL 'ALTERNATIVE' HOME SHIRTS - £5 to Phoenix Fund

 http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/shop64.htm
http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/shop64.htm

 http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/shop65.htm
http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/shop65.htm

And those kind hearted souls out there can help with our costs by making an
online donation via paypal. Doesn't matter how small the amount is, every bit
helps with our costs - thanks. click on.

https://www.paypal.com/xclick/business=rednewsweb%40aol.com&item_name=Red+News+donation&item_number=RN+donation&cn=Donate+to+Online+or+Fanzine%3F&tax=0&curr

https://www.paypal.com/xclick/business=rednewsweb%40aol.com&item_name=Red+News+donation&item_number=RN+donation&cn=Donate+to+Online+or+Fanzine%3F&tax=0&curr

Please fill in the price column online accordingly and state which issue or
offer when you are ordering.

---------------------------------
[18] Van der Sar equals Dutch appearance record
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, June 23, 2006 by ed:
"I'm at least happy I kept a clean sheet and played my 112th match for Holland
and equalled the record"

---------------------------------
[17] Sven when asked if Beckham was undroppable
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, June 23, 2006 by ed:
"I am not married to David Beckham, even if you think I am. I’m not even
engaged to him.”

---------------------------------
[16] Beanpole Crouch hits back
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, June 23, 2006 by ed:
“It’s frustrating to hear that because I’m tall and different to Michael and
Wayne, that we’re going to play long-ball,. I resent it, to be honest. Yes,
it’s an option, but it isn’t one we should be using all the time. You can see
that when I’m in the team. Against Sweden we didn’t play long balls except for
a couple of times, and passing to feet is the best way for us. I prefer to play
the right way. That was how I was brought up, playing football on the floor,
and in international football you can’t knock high balls into the box and hope
for the best. That won’t get you anywhere. You’ve got to be more cute than
that. As a squad, we’ve got too much talent to be satisfied by playing like
that, and belief that we can pass well against sides. I’m obviously going to
say that Wayne will benefit more from me playing, but that’s the manager’s
decision. Wayne could play with me or on his own because he’s a talented
player, but I think we complement each other. Given a chance, I think everyone
will see the benefits. Wayne likes to drop deep and create things, and that
means I can stretch the team and give us more of a threat up front. With him
dropping deep, that’s going to help me, because he’ll be linking things up and
that’ll give me more of a chance in the box. It worked against Sweden,
especially in the first half. We honestly feel we can sustain that now. I’m not
the kind of character to hide, and maybe the fact that I’ve had to bounce back
so many times has given me a good attitude. As a striker, you can’t hide — you
have to put yourself out there — but I feel as good as I ever have done. I hope
I’m taken seriously now.”

---------------------------------
[15] Indy on Ruud
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, June 23, 2006 by ed:
Ruud van Nistelrooy insists reports of a rift with Manchester United team-mate
Cristiano Ronaldo are totally inaccurate.

When Sir Alex Ferguson hinted the Dutch striker was undermining team spirit
after he was turfed out of United's team hotel prior to the final Premiership
game against Charlton, speculation immediately surfaced about a training ground
row between Van Nistelrooy and Ronaldo, which is supposed to have left the
young winger in tears.

Ronaldo has since rejected the claims and, as the duo prepare to meet for the
first time since Van Nistelrooy was cast into exile, the former PSV Eindhoven
striker has condemned the rumours too. "There is no problem between Cristiano
and me," he said.

"I know, he knows and everyone at Manchester United knows that. Nothing has
happened between us at all. In fact, we both get along really well."

Throughout the World Cup, Van Nistelrooy has continually confirmed his
intention to return to Manchester for pre-season training unless he is told
otherwise.

For now, his focus is totally on the Netherlands, which is just as well because
there are murmurings around the Dutch camp about the 29-year-old's form.

Although the Dutch sauntered out of the so-called "Group of Death" to set up
Sunday's first knockout round meeting with Portugal in Nuremburg, Van
Nistelrooy contributed just a single goal to the Oranje effort.

Lacking the service of Arjen Robben against Argentina last night, he barely got
a kick in Frankfurt and some are now starting to question Marco van Basten's
decision to leave talented Ajax star Klaas-Jan Huntelaar out of his 23-man
squad.

Instead, Huntelaar spent the early part of his summer at the European Under-21
championships, where he finished top scorer, firing the Dutch youngsters to
glory.

Having placed total faith in Van Nistelrooy to deliver the goods and with only
Dirk Kuyt to call on as a direct replacement, Van Basten is hardly likely to
axe his most experienced forward for such an important game.

But he does accept Van Nistelrooy needs to make a more meaningful contribution.
"I expect more from a player of his standard," said Van Basten. "Ruud is
training well but he needs to show a little bit more."

Van Basten admitted his statement was partially an attempt to fire Van
Nistelrooy into life in the same way Ferguson has done on occasion down the
years at Manchester United.

Van Nistelrooy's form certainly needs to return as, in Portugal, the
Netherlands face a side which proved too good for them at the semi-final stage
of Euro 2004.

"We have bad memories from that semi-final," said Van Nistelrooy, one of only
five members of the Dutch starting XI that night to retain their places two
years on. "But this will be different. We have to go for it."

The prize of a quarter-final meeting with either England or Ecuador is one to
set Dutch pulses racing.

But, while the possibility remains of an appearance against the country in
which he currently earns his living is an attractive one, Van Nistelrooy is
refusing to look too far into the future.

"I don't want to think about it," he said. "Portugal are too good a team to
start looking beyond them."

If you haven't already signed up to e.bay.co.uk - quick and easy to do - do so
and each registration when you make a bid on ebay.co.uk within the first 30
days helps this site.

 http://www.qksrv.net/click-795737-5048476 Register on eBay.co.uk!
Check http://www.rednews.co.uk to view the image which has been removed from
plain text email version of news

 http://www.qksrv.net/click-795737-5826355
Check http://www.rednews.co.uk to view the image which has been removed from
plain text email version of news

And you can join up and if you use e.bay.com for a bid within 30 days that
helps us too

 http://www.qksrv.net/click-795737-5377629

Check http://www.rednews.co.uk to view the image which has been removed from
plain text email version of news

---------------------------------
[14] Some media predict
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, June 23, 2006 by ed:
that ALan Shearenvy will become England Ast Manager to McClaren after the World
Cup

---------------------------------
[13] 4 clubs in trouble in Italian scandal
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, June 23, 2006 by ed:
from Guardian

'Italy's achievement in progressing into the knockout phase of the World Cup
was overshadowed last night by confirmation that four Serie A clubs, including
the champions Juventus, will stand trial before a sporting tribunal over
alleged match-fixing.
Juventus, along with Milan, Lazio and Fiorentina, could face relegation for
their part in the scandal with 26 further people - but no players - also
indicted by the prosecutor conducting a special investigation into the
allegations, with the hearings to begin at Rome's Olympic Stadium next
Wednesday. Neither the identity of the individuals nor the precise nature of
the charges have been revealed.

All but three of the Azzurri who started yesterday's 2-0 victory over the Czech
Republic represent the clubs concerned. However, the Italy coach Marcello Lippi
rejected suggestions last night that his players could become distracted by
events back home.
"Nothing very new is happening in Italy," said Lippi in the wake of his team's
triumph. "All this has been going on for a month. That's not what's putting us
under pressure. The tension comes from the threat of being sent home by another
team - but games with pressure are the ones people want to play in, no?

"Do you foreigners think that our players are all sitting here just thinking
about these things? We're just desperate to play a good championship. Once
people go home, alas, they will have to deal with their problems but, for the
moment, no one is thinking about that."

Confirmation of the indictments of the four clubs and 26 individuals by the
Italian Football Federation's prosecutor, Stefano Palazzi, was delayed until
after the game in Hamburg with 13 members of Lippi's squad employed by the
clubs concerned.

The federation said all the indictments were for violation of articles one
and/or six of the Code of Sporting Justice. Article one covers "general duties
and obligations" while article six deals with sporting infractions and the
obligation to report them. Juventus, the club at the centre of the scandal, are
thought to be at greatest risk of relegation, possibly as far down to Serie C1,
and are likely to be stripped of the league titles won over the last two years.
The federation has promised it will be over by July 9, the date of the World
Cup final.

Italy's chances of progressing to that showpiece remain intact after
yesterday's relatively comfortable success over the Czechs, their nerves
settled by Marco Materazzi's goal midway through the first period and, with
their opponents reduced to 10 men, victory was confirmed three minutes from
time by Filippo Inzaghi.

"It's not been easy to think just about the World Cup without thinking about
what is happening in Italy, but the players deserved the success they
achieved," said Lippi. "Making it through today was so important. This is a
great step forward because this group of players has proved themselves to be
united and together."

The rest of this tournament will now be played out to a backdrop of the ongoing
trial back home. The federation's inquiry and sporting tribunal are distinct
from four other investigations being carried out by prosecutors in four cities
whose findings, which have yet to be announced, could result in criminal
charges.

The scandal erupted after the publication of transcripts of phone calls
intercepted by investigators. They recorded Juventus's former general manager,
Luciano Moggi, and senior federation officials discussing refereeing
appointments in the 2004-5 season.'

---------------------------------
[12] PA on Newcastle replacing Owen
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, June 23, 2006 by ed:
and link Ruud

'Possible targets for Newcastle include Ruud van Nistelrooy, whose future is
uncertain after a bust-up with Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson at the
end of last season, and another Dutchman, Dirk Kuyt, who is currently with
Feyenoord. A less expensive option would be a bid for Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink,
who is out of contract at Middlesbrough.'

---------------------------------
[11] Amazon United Ideas
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, June 23, 2006 by ed:
Paul Parker's new book

The Men in Black - paperback edition out this month

Lee Sharpe's book now in paperback, just £3.99!

Bryan Robson's autobiography - coming in May

Bill Foulkes

The Lost Babes

Paul Parker's autobiography
 http://www.rednews.co.uk/ama.php?id=190544947X
http://www.rednews.co.uk/ama.php?id=190544947X
Bryan Robson's autobiography
 http://www.rednews.co.uk/ama.php?id=0340839562
http://www.rednews.co.uk/ama.php?id=0340839562
Danny Wallace's Danny Boy
 http://www.rednews.co.uk/ama.php?id=1905156200
http://www.rednews.co.uk/ama.php?id=1905156200
The lost Babes
 http://www.rednews.co.uk/ama.php?id=0007208073
http://www.rednews.co.uk/ama.php?id=0007208073
The Belfast Boy by Don Fardon
 http://www.rednews.co.uk/ama.php?id=B000CQJZ2G
http://www.rednews.co.uk/ama.php?id=B000CQJZ2G
You Raise Me Up - A Tribute to George Best [Single] Brian Kennedy
 http://www.rednews.co.uk/ama.php?id=B000CS3R2I
http://www.rednews.co.uk/ama.php?id=B000CS3R2I
The Men in Black: Further Exploits of Manchester United's Soccer Mob by Tony
O'Neill
 http://www.rednews.co.uk/ama.php?id=1903854490
http://www.rednews.co.uk/ama.php?id=1903854490
in paperback: Red Army General: The Inside Story of the World's Most Infamous
Football Firm
 http://www.rednews.co.uk/ama.php?id=1903854458
http://www.rednews.co.uk/ama.php?id=1903854458
Back from the Brink: Manchester United Crisis, 1919-1932
 http://www.rednews.co.uk/ama.php?id=190174647X
http://www.rednews.co.uk/ama.php?id=190174647X
1968 European Cup Final for just under £12
 http://www.rednews.co.uk/ama.php?id=B000B0QJJK
http://www.rednews.co.uk/ama.php?id=B000B0QJJK
Busby Babes John Doherty and The Insider's Guide to Manchester United: Candid
Profiles of Every Red Devil Since 1945 £6 OFF
 http://www.rednews.co.uk/ama.php?id=1901746410
http://www.rednews.co.uk/ama.php?id=1901746410
Manchester United - FA Cup Final Classics - New Dvd
 http://www.rednews.co.uk/ama.php?id=B00083D4FM
http://www.rednews.co.uk/ama.php?id=B00083D4FM
Tony Whelan United Academy Chief 'The Birth of the Babes', 'Manchester United
Youth Policy, 1950-1957'
 http://www.rednews.co.uk/ama.php?id=1901746453
http://www.rednews.co.uk/ama.php?id=1901746453
Grafters
 http://www.rednews.co.uk/ama.php?id=1903854288
http://www.rednews.co.uk/ama.php?id=1903854288
Manchester United. The FA Cup Finals. Every Final since 1963 in a boxed set,
£15 off the r.r.price
 http://www.rednews.co.uk/ama.php?id=B00061RZEW
http://www.rednews.co.uk/ama.php?id=B00061RZEW
Bring back those Cup memories with the 1977 Cup Final. Under £6 on DVD from
Amazon
 http://www.rednews.co.uk/ama.php?id=B0001IMD4C
http://www.rednews.co.uk/ama.php?id=B0001IMD4C
Scousebusters 1985 Cup Final
 http://www.rednews.co.uk/ama.php?id=B00027NW1A
http://www.rednews.co.uk/ama.php?id=B00027NW1A

---------------------------------
[10] FREE £40 matched BET
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, June 23, 2006 by ed:
 http://www.kqzyfj.com/click-2051413-10351781

 http://www.anrdoezrs.net/click-795737-10351781
Check http://www.rednews.co.uk to view the image which has been removed from
plain text email version of news

---------------------------------
[9] Times on Ruud
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, June 23, 2006 by ed:
'RUUD VAN NISTELROOY is looking forward to locking horns with Cristiano
Ronaldo, not always his favourite team-mate at Old Trafford, when Holland play
Portugal in the round of 16 on Sunday, but the Manchester United forward would
be unwise to take his place in the starting line-up for granted.

Van Nistelrooy was substituted in all three of Holland’s group matches, making
little impression against Argentina on Wednesday, and Marco van Basten, the
coach, suggested yesterday that Dirk Kuyt, of Feyenoord, had played himself
into contention for the centre forward’s role in a 4-3-3 formation. “The
central position up front is a point of discussion and the chance that Dirk
will start on Sunday has increased,” Van Basten said.

Van Nistelrooy started the tournament as first choice but has scored only one
goal, against Ivory Coast. It is a remarkable move from the Holland coach to
criticise his first-choice striker because he had backed him when he was under
fire at United last season. Sir Alex Ferguson dropped Van Nistelrooy two months
before the end of the season in favour of Louis Saha, but Van Basten then
declared his confidence in his striker.

“It is not nice for him when he is replaced, but we did not speak about it,”
Van Basten said yesterday. “Ruud will understand that if you play well you will
not be substituted. We might expect more from Ruud — he has to play a bigger
role in our attack.”

Van Basten has considerable strength in depth and is happy to use competition
from within the group to improve standards. “The same goes for every player —
if your contribution gets less, there is a chance you will be substituted,” he
said.

It could be that Van Basten is simply using old-fashioned motivational tactics
to fire up Van Nistelrooy. Rinus Michels, the late former Holland coach, kept
Van Basten on the bench in the team’s first match of their 1988 European
Championship campaign. The psychological trick worked perfectly because Van
Basten returned to strike five goals in the remaining four matches to seal the
trophy for Holland.

Kuyt is likely to become a familiar face to English observers over the coming
months. He dared yesterday to look beyond Sunday to a possible quarter-final
against England, but regardless of what the next couple of weeks have in store
for him, the forward hopes to move to the Barclays Premiership next season,
aware that Newcastle United, along with Liverpool and Tottenham Hotspur, are
interested in signing him.

“I want very much to play in the Premiership,” Kuyt said. “I’d like to join one
of the teams at the top. I hope we can play England in the quarterfinals
because it’ll give me a chance to show what I can do. I’ll be sitting down with
my agent after the World Cup and deciding which option to take.”

---------------------------------
[8] Move over Becks
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, June 23, 2006 by ed:
from MEN

'Wayne Rooney is beginning to challenge his skipper David Beckham as the most
popular website topic, according to figures released today.
A study of registered Internet domain names shows that 51 bear the moniker of
the Manchester United forward - more than five times the number of two years
ago.

They include TouchWayneRooneysFoot.co.uk and WayneRooneysMetatarsal.co.uk -
although neither of those is yet an operational website.

Advertisement your story continues below

David Beckham still leads the field with 111 registered domains containing his
name, including DavidBeckhamSucks.co.uk.

Michael Owen comes third, with 35, while the less glamorous Gary Neville has a
lowly five.

Peter Crouch has eight sites named in his honour, including crouchdance.co.uk -
created following his robotic dance goal celebrations.

* The full list, compiled by domain name management firm NetNames, is:

1. David Beckham - 111

2. Wayne Rooney - 51

3. Michael Owen - 35

4. Steven Gerrard - 13

5. Frank Lampard - 9

6. Owen Hargreaves, Sol Campbell, Joe Cole, Peter Crouch - 8

7. Rio Ferdinand - 7

8. Gary Neville, Paul Robinson - 5

Jonathan Robinson, chief operating officer of NetNames, said: "David Beckham's
iconic status has definitely been reinforced by these findings, but his
popularity has reached a plateau since Euro 2004 and Wayne Rooney looks set to
take over before long.

"Major football stars have the potential to become huge brands in their own
right and should have protected their online identities early on in their
careers.

"Only by doing so can they ensure the web addresses bearing their name do not
fall into the hands of cybersquatters and domain name speculators."

---------------------------------
[7] Summer Mag Deadline... TODAY
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, June 23, 2006 by ed:
The deadline for the 126th issue (Summer Mag) is TODAY so please send
everything and anything to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

We always want YOUR opinions - now more than ever.  If you have something you
want to say, say it!

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

We're particularly after the following for this issue

So if you have any gossip/letters/funny
graphics/images/pictures/ideas/articles/gossip send them in - It is YOUR
fanzine after all! Any subject matter considered!

If you're a wizard with Photoshop, why not send in your original work and
create a funny graphic for the fanzine. If you have an idea for a graphic which
our lads can design, send it in.

Have you spotted any United players or staff off the pitch recently?

Had any interesting, unique or just plain bizarre meetings or encounters with
past or present players over the years that make a good story?

We'd love to hear tales of meeting United players and staff that really stand
out. Send your enjoyable/entertaining tales to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

If you or your company would like to advertise in Red News, contact us for
great rates.

Do you have any good stories from United's past. Of a particular season or game
travelling to see the Reds, at home or abroad, in England at Old Trafford or
away, from the great past or recent glory days? Or your first United game
memories that stand out, or dumb things you've done following United?

We're always after tracking down ex United players (or staff for that matter)
for interviews and interesting stories they may have to tell. If you know the
whereabouts or contact details for any former players, wherever in the world
they may be let us know at [EMAIL PROTECTED] thanks

Run a business that could sell Red News? Interested, get in touch.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

---------------------------------
[6] Yorke eyes England return?
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, June 23, 2006 by ed:
"I want to play in England again."

---------------------------------
[5] FREE £25 Royal Ascot bet for TODAY ONLY
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, June 22, 2006 by ed:
Midnight Thursday until 5.30pm Friday

£25 free bet on Royal Ascot - Bet £10 get £25 free bet on Royal Ascot

When you plan to have a bet - use Sporting Odds through us

 http://www.sportingodds.com/index.asp?tpid=2983
http://www.sportingodds.com/index.asp?tpid=2983

---------------------------------
[4] 5 FOR £5! And we pay the postage as well!
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, June 22, 2006 by ed:
There are now 5 Red News' from last season still available... and you can get
ALL 5 for JUST £5 INCLUDING p&p in UK... £9 ROW... and when you order you get
FREE entry into our VIP Forum for a month. What a bargain!

Never read the mag? Or just missed out this season? Then order the 5 available
Red News' from this season (including the Bestie tribute comes with the 5 as
well) for JUST £5 in the UK INCLUDING p&p and £9 ROW (inc p&p). You also then
qualify for a free months entry into our news breaking VIP Forum.

Order here - product code 5OFFER

To order a single copy click on

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_xclick&business=rednewsweb%40mac%2ecom&item_name=Red%20News%20Single%20Copy%20Order&item_number=Red%20News%20Single%20Copy%20Order&no_shipping=0&no_note=1&currency_code=GBP&bn=PP%2dBuyNowBF&charset=UTF%2d8

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_xclick&business=rednewsweb%40mac%2ecom&item_name=Red%20News%20Single%20Copy%20Order&item_number=Red%20News%20Single%20Copy%20Order&no_shipping=0&no_note=1&currency_code=GBP&bn=PP%2dBuyNowBF&charset=UTF%2d8

---------------------------------
[3] Sportinglife on Gary Nev and Rio
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, June 22, 2006 by ed:
'England full-back Gary Neville trained for the first time in a week on
Thursday but faces a race against time to be fit to play against Ecuador.

The Manchester United defender missed the final two group games and has not
trained since injuring a calf muscle eight days ago.

He joined his England team-mates at their Buhlertal training ground and went
through a light session with physio Gary Lewin.

Neville is unlikely to be rushed back, however, to play in Sunday's last-16
clash with Ecuador in Stuttgart.

Rio Ferdinand sat out training but he has a better chance of recovering in time
for Sunday's game.

Ferdinand limped off during the second half of England's 2-2 draw with Sweden
on Tuesday with a slight groin strain.

He has rested it and is hopeful of playing in the next game.'

---------------------------------
[2] Ruud prepares for Portugal
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, June 22, 2006 by ed:
"We have bad memories from that semi-final. But this game will be different. We
have to go for it. I don't want to think about England. Portugal are too good a
team to start looking beyond them. In Pauleta and Luis Figo, they have a lot of
experience but they also have plenty of younger talent in the likes of Tiago,
Miguel and, of course, Cristiano. We have come through our group well but I
still think we can produce more and the chances are we will have to."

---------------------------------
[1] Van Basten may drop Ruud
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, June 22, 2006 by ed:
"I expect more from a player of his standard. Ruud is training well but I just
feel he needs to show a little bit more. The central position up front is a
point of discussion and the chance that Dirk (Kuyt) will start on Sunday has
increased"

---------------------------------
[35] Ruud - Ronaldo spat nothing
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, June 22, 2006 by ed:
from BBC

'Ruud van Nistelrooy insists he has no argument with Cristiano Ronaldo ahead of
Holland's game with Portugal in the last 16 of the World Cup.
The Manchester United team-mates had a training ground row last season, which
Ronaldo claims was "nothing at all".

"I think the lads at United knew that, he knows and I know so I'll say the same
as he did," said Van Nistelrooy.

"Nothing happened and we get on really well. I have no problem with Ronaldo,
that's definitely the situation."

Holland drew 0-0 with Argentina to finish runners-up in Group C and set up a
tie with Group D winners Portugal on Sunday.

Ronaldo had already moved to distance himself from a rift with Van Nistelrooy
before the tournament began in Germany.

"It was nothing much at all," he said. "Quarrels happen in all teams, in all
professions.

"It's perfectly normal to have these small disagreements and that's what
happened, something perfectly normal.

"It's a storm in a tea-cup. Yet people are turning it into something it isn't."

He added: "All I can do is repeat what I have already said and that is that
what happened wasn't anything special.

"Ruud is actually someone I get on particularly well with."

There is a question mark hanging over Van Nistelrooy's future at United after
he was sent home from the squad to face Charlton on the final day of the
Premiership season.

But for the moment he will be concentrating on what he knows will be a tough
meeting with Portugal and try to help Holland reach a similar level to
Argentina.

Argentina are being touted as favourites after their performances and, even
after resting players against the Dutch, Van Nistelrooy was impressed by them.

"They are strong," he said. "It was the sort of game where we were both through
but you could feel the strength of their team - their quality up front and
midfield.

"We can't deny we had our hands full. We tried to play a bit more but they put
a lot of pressure on us.

"We didn't get the chance to create many chances and that also says something.
We had to hold on for the result.

"I think we came through the group well but we didn't play really convincingly
like Argentina did."

var uri = 'http://impgb.tradedoubler.com/imp/img/16139340/608750?' + new String
(Math.random()).substring (2, 11); document.write('
http://clkuk.tradedoubler.com/click?p=17211&a=608750&g=16139340
Check http://www.rednews.co.uk to view the image which has been removed from
plain text email version of news
');

---------------------------------
[34] Saha may play
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, June 22, 2006 by ed:
French boss Domenech

"I brought back (David) Trezeguet against South Korea so he should get ready as
he has a chance to play as does Louis Saha if I go for two strikers. (Franck)
Ribery is another option."

---------------------------------
[33] Now here's a surprise
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, June 22, 2006 by ed:
from Mirror

'TORY toff David Cameron was exposed as a football fraud last night. The
Conservative leader flew to Germany on a private jet to see England play Sweden
to try and prove he is a true fan. But a dossier by Labour MP Sadiq Khan
reveals he knows nothing about the game. Asked to name the England goalkeeper
in October he replied: "Martin something?" It is Paul Robinson. He also admits
being "ropey" on the rules. Ex-Etonian Mr Cameron was last night slammed by Mr
Khan for "jumping on the football bandwagon".

---------------------------------
[32] Mirror on Wenger-Real rumours
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, June 22, 2006 by ed:
ARSENE WENGER was at the centre of a war of words in Spain last night over
claims that he has agreed to take charge of Real Madrid after the World Cup.

Juan Miguel Villar Mir, a leading candidate to become the next President at the
Bernabeu after elections on July 2, is claiming that Wenger has agreed to join
as an all-powerful coach and manager on a four-year deal.

Villar Mir, campaigning on a joint ticket with former world rally champion
Carlos Sainz, and who is known to be supported by former Real President
Florentino Perez, has insisted that he met with Wenger in Paris last week and
shook hands on a deal worth £3.5m per year after tax.

That is more than Wenger receives from the Gunners and a Villar Mir associate
told one Madrid radio station: "For some reason, the subject has not been
leaked until now.

"Wenger is not going to admit it and it will be covered up. When Wenger told
David Dein, the Highbury vice chairman reacted like a hyena and did not like it
at all.

"Dein was furious but Wenger has a clause in his contract that allow him to
leave if a sufficient offer comes in from Real and if Villar Mir is elected
Wenger will be the next coach."

Wenger himself has vehemently denied the suggestion from the Villar Mir camp.
The Frenchman maintains this is an electioneering stunt, similar to the
preelection promises by current Barcelona President Joan Laporta that he would
land David Beckham from Manchester United in 2003.

Wenger insisted: "No, there is no agreement between me and anybody connected
with Real."

---------------------------------
[31] Newcastle on Owen
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, June 22, 2006 by ed:
chairman Freddy Shepherd

"When you lend somebody something and they return them injured and broken then
you shouldn't have to pay for the repair. That what's happened at Newcastle and
the level of compensation isn't high enough in my opinion. Players move on,
players wages move on and transfer fees move on so the level (of compensation)
is far too low."

---------------------------------
[30] Champions League coefficient standings from uefa.com
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, June 22, 2006 by ed:

2006/07 UEFA Champions League
IOC     Stage   Club    Coefficient
ESP     Grp     FC Barcelona (holders)  127.006
ESP     Grp     Real Madrid CF  120.006
ESP     Q3      Valencia CF     95.006
ESP     Q3      CA Osasuna      25.006
ENG     Grp     Chelsea FC      79.950
ENG     Grp     Manchester United FC    100.950
ENG     Q3      Liverpool FC    105.950
ENG     Q3      Arsenal FC      101.950
ITA     Grp     Juventus        107.020
ITA     Grp     AC Milan        129.020
ITA     Q3      FC Internazionale Milano        112.020
ITA     Q3      ACF Fiorentina  28.020
FRA     Grp     Olympique Lyonnais      89.757
FRA     Grp     FC Girondins de Bordeaux        47.757
FRA     Q3      LOSC Lille Métropole    54.757
GER     Grp     FC Bayern München       80.960
GER     Grp     Werder Bremen   43.960
GER     Q3      Hamburger SV    30.960
POR     Grp     FC Porto        87.533
POR     Grp     Sporting Clube de Portugal      54.533
POR     Q3      SL Benfica      51.533
NED     Grp     PSV Eindhoven   81.640
NED     Q3      AFC Ajax        60.640
GRE     Grp     Olympiacos CFP  43.587
GRE     Q3      AEK Athens FC   39.587
BEL     Grp     RSC Anderlecht  38.981
BEL     Q3      R. Standard de Liège    17.981
SCO     Grp     Celtic FC       60.023
SCO     Q2      Heart of Midlothian FC  20.023
TUR     Q3      Galatasaray SK  33.634
TUR     Q2      Fenerbahçe SK   28.634
CZE     Q3      FC Slovan Liberec       28.769
CZE     Q2      FK Mladá Boleslav       8.769
RUS     Q3      PFC CSKA Moskva 42.504
RUS     Q2      FC Spartak Moskva       21.504
AUT     Q3      FK Austria Wien 27.723
AUT     Q2      SV Austria Salzburg     8.723
UKR     Q3      FC Shakhtar Donetsk     33.777
UKR     Q2      FC Dynamo Kyiv  36.777
ISR     Q3      Maccabi Haifa FC        19.108
SCG     Q2      FK Crvena Zvezda        20.600
POL     Q2      Legia Warszawa  16.104
SUI     Q2      FC Zürich       10.537
NOR     Q2      Vålerenga IF    11.921
BUL     Q2      PFC Levski Sofia        35.016
CRO     Q2      NK Dinamo Zagreb        20.647
DEN     Q2      FC København    16.593
HUN     Q2      Debreceni VSC   13.840
ROU     Q2      FC Steaua Bucuresti     46.381
SWE     Q2      Djurgårdens IF  9.372
SVK     Q2      MFK Ružomberok  6.070
SLO     Q1      NK Gorica       4.355
CYP     Q1      Apollon Limassol FC     3.355
BIH     Q1      NK Široki Brijeg        2.695
LAT     Q1      FHK Liepajas Metalurgs  2.365
FIN     Q1      Myllykosken Pallo-47    3.433
MOL     Q1      FC Sheriff      2.255
GEO     Q1      FC Sioni Bolnisi        2.090
LIT     Q1      FK Ekranas      1.925
ISL     Q1      FH Hafnarfjördur        2.595
MKD     Q1      FK Rabotnicki   1.760
IRL     Q1      Cork City FC    1.430
BLS     Q1      FC Shakhtyor Soligorsk  1.457
ARM     Q1      FC Pyunik       0.990
MLT     Q1      Birkirkara FC   1.880
ALB     Q1      KS Elbasani     1.210
EST     Q1      FC TVMK Tallinn 0.880
NIR     Q1      Linfield FC     0.770
WAL     Q1      The New Saints FC       0.770
LUX     Q1      F91 Dudelange   0.605
AZE     Q1      FK Baku 0.660
FAR     Q1      B36 Tórshavn    0.550
KAZ     Q1      FK Aktobe       0.550

 http://www.jdoqocy.com/click-795737-10379645
Check http://www.rednews.co.uk to view the image which has been removed from
plain text email version of news

 http://www.anrdoezrs.net/click-795737-10380073  Dorm rooms to dreams rooms
from just £7 per night
Check http://www.rednews.co.uk to view the image which has been removed from
plain text email version of news

---------------------------------
[29] For the stattos
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, June 22, 2006 by ed:
2006/07 UEFA Champions League
First qualifying round draw
First leg: 11/12 July
Second leg: 18/19 July
Seeded clubs    Unseeded clubs
NK Gorica (SLO) FC Shakhtyor Soligorsk (BLS)
Myllykosken Pallo-47 (FIN)      Cork City FC (IRL)
Apollon Limassol FC (CYP)       KS Elbasani (ALB)
NK Široki Brijeg (BIH)  FC Pyunik (ARM)
FH Hafnarfjördur (ISL)  FC TVMK Tallinn (EST)
FHK Liepajas Metalurgs (LAT)    Linfield FC (NIR)
FC Sheriff (MOL)        The New Saints FC (WAL)
FC Sioni Bolnisi (GEO)  FK Baku (AZE)
FK Ekranas (LTU)        F91 Dudelange (LUX)
Birkirkara FC (MLT)     FK Aktobe (KAZ)
FK Rabotnicki (MKD)     B36 Tórshavn (FAR)

---------------------------------
[28] More anger about ROoney Nike ad
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, June 22, 2006 by ed:
 http://www.khaleejtimes.com/ http://www.khaleejtimes.com/

Drenched in bloodred paint and his mouth in a contorted war cry, this powerful
image of Wayne Rooney is meant to inspire. It has, however, managed to offend
everyone from MPs to religious leaders.

The 20-year-old striker may yet turn out to be the saviour of England's World
Cup campaign.

But this pose for Nike, along with the slogan 'Just Do It', yesterday provoked
fierce condemnation.

Five complaints were lodged with the Advertising Standards Authority watchdog
on religious grounds within hours of the picture being published.

It was reproduced in several national newspapers and also appears on a 60ft
roadside hoarding in West London.

Labour MP Stephen Pound said the depiction of Rooney was 'truly horrible'.

'This is such a horrible image and is so horribly war-like that it can only be
described as Nike being crass, offensive and insensitive as they try to hitch
poor old Rooney to their commercial bandwagon,' said the MP for Ealing North.

'He should go out and wear Adidas instead.

'It's offensive on so many different levels and extremely nasty.

'Wayne's a good Catholic boy and I think the obvious crucifixion nuance is one
part of it, but the aggressive nature of the pose is something we could do
without.

'If we have learned anything about football in the last few years, it should be
that it doesn't need big business trying to inject even more aggression into
the mix.'

Nike, which has a £5million contract with Rooney, insisted the image simply
showed him celebrating a goal.

The company denied any religious connotations.

The Reverend Rod Thomas, of the Church of England evangelical group Reform, was
not convinced.

'It's quite a disturbing image and because the paint is wet, it really looks
like blood,' he said.

'It therefore brings to mind the crucifixion to many people.

'The trivialisation of Christ's suffering is highly offensive to Christians and
to God. This will cause real hurt to people.'

A spokesman for the Advertising Standards Authority said all those who had
complained cited the image's similarity to Christ's crucifixion.

The picture was the product of a three-hour photo-shoot a few weeks ago.

It was created jointly by Nike executives and their advertising agency Wieden
and Kennedy.

Nike decided to unveil the image once the injured Rooney's return to the
England starting line-up looked likely.

The limited campaign is known in the trade by the unfortunate phrase of a '
tactical execution', according to Wieden and Kennedy's website. The agency
refused to discuss the advertisement, but a Nike spokesman said it would not be
shown nationwide or in other countries.

'It was intended solely as a celebration of Rooney's return to the team and is
based on his own trademark goal- scoring celebration, nothing to do with the
crucifixion at all,' she added.

'If we have offended anyone on those grounds, we would stress it was
unintentional and we apologise.

'It is not meant to be an aggressive picture, either.

'It was a case of catching the mood of the nation as everyone urges Rooney on
to great things, and of course our slogan puts it perfectly.

'The red paint is not meant to be blood, it's just echoing the body paint which
fans cover themselves in and the rest of Wayne's body is painted white.

'It's the flag of St George, and nothing else.

'We have had nothing but positive reaction to the poster and a lot of people
have been asking if they can buy it.

'But we have no plans to produce it as a poster.'

---------------------------------
[27] More Sven on taking Rooney off
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, June 22, 2006 by ed:
"It's not a problem. He was more disappointed with himself. We cannot risk him
to be injured. He had played 30 minutes five days before and it was not right
professionally that he played 90 minutes."

---------------------------------
[26] Danny Pugh to Preston?
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, June 22, 2006 by ed:
from BBC

'Preston manager Paul Simpson is closing in on Leeds winger Danny Pugh. Pugh,
23, has turned down a new deal to stay at Elland Road and will sign a
three-year contract at Deepdale once the clubs have agreed a fee.

Simpson said: "He is a player I have always liked so I wasted no time in making
my interest known. I am absolutely delighted we have got him."

Pugh came through the youth ranks at Manchester United before joining Leeds,
where he made 51 appearances.

Simpson added: "He is at a great age, with plenty of football in him and he's
of very good pedigree with his grounding at Manchester United."

"He has a lot of quality and a great left foot and can play in either position
on the left side."'

---------------------------------
[25] The old supported them as a child chestnut
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, June 22, 2006 by ed:
from Guardian

'Craig Bellamy will today complete his £6m transfer from Blackburn Rovers to
Liverpool after agreeing a four-year deal with the Merseyside club commanding
wages of around £45,000 a week, considerably less than was on offer had he
opted to prolong his stay at Ewood Park.
Rovers had proposed a similar four-year deal which would have increased his
weekly pay packet to nearer £60,000 but the Wales international opted for
Anfield. The boyhood Liverpool fan undertook a medical yesterday, cutting short
a holiday in Greece, and met Rafael Benítez to discuss the terms of the
transfer.'

 http://www.qksrv.net/click-795737-10306929

Check http://www.rednews.co.uk to view the image which has been removed from
plain text email version of news

---------------------------------
[24] Telegraph on insurance policies
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, June 22, 2006 by ed:
'The Football Association's insurance cover for England players while on World
Cup duty has again been exposed as insufficient after it emerged that their
policy would cover only half of Michael Owen's £100,000-a-week salary at
Newcastle.

Last week Manchester United demanded that the FA top up their insurance cover
on Wayne Rooney after they discovered that the policy with brokers SBJ covered
only £20 million of the player's saleable value.

The issue had to be resolved before United and FA chief executive Brian Barwick
agreed to Rooney playing as a substitute against Trinidad and Tobago last
Thursday.

Now, following the devastating injury to Owen's right knee, it has emerged
Newcastle had to take out extra insurance cover to meet his wages in the event
that he was hurt while on international duty in Germany.

With Owen expected to be out for six months with ruptured cruciate ligaments in
his right knee, his total wage bill for that period is estimated at £2.6
million.

Under the terms of the FA's policy, Soho Square's policy will cover £1.3
million of that sum for up to 12 months with Newcastle paying a premium for the
rest.

While clearly frustrated at losing their £17 million signing for much of next
season, Newcastle have accepted there is nothing they can do about the
situation.

In contrast to Rooney, Owen had recovered from his broken foot before
Sven-Goran Eriksson named his squad on May 15. There might have been some
debate over his levels of match fitness and sharpness but the view at St James'
Park is that they cannot bleat about the situation or link the latest blow to
his earlier injury.

The club are simply relieved they had the foresight to top up the policy after
reading the small print in the SBJ contract.

Newcastle chairman Freddy Shepherd said: "It's well known that the FA insure
England players when they are away on international duty should issues such as
compensation arise, and that applies in Michael's case."

The FA refused to be drawn on the specific details of their insurance policy
yesterday, but director of communications, Adrian Bevington, said: "We have an
insurance policy in place for all players that covers their salaries while they
are injured. We are one of the few countries who do this."

Indeed Germany are the only other country at the World Cup to have a similar
policy. Scotland and Northern Ireland also take out cover for players injured
while playing for their country.

But Fifa rules state that it is the responsibility of the club, not the
national association, to arrange insurance for their players.

They argue that few nations besides Europe's wealthy superpowers and big
footballing nations such as Brazil and Argentina can afford to pay such massive
premiums on their players.

Perhaps prompted by the Charleroi and Lyon cases, where clubs are suing
national associations for compensation after their players were injured playing
for their countries, Fifa have set aside a pot of money for the first time at
this World Cup.

Five per cent of the total prize money, about £6 million, is available for
countries to help compensate teams if a player is ruled out of club action for
more than 20 days.

There is a cap on the amount that can be paid by Fifa however - thought to be
around £38,000 a week - and the time for which it can be paid.

It is not clear whether the FA will attempt to claw back some of the money from
the Owen payout by making a separate claim against Fifa.

The FA's decision to buy a policy which does not meet the full value or club
salaries of England's players is a major shift from the last World Cup, when
they covered the full evaluations submitted by team accountants.

But it is understandable given the explosion in salaries in English and
European football. Increases might have slowed generally but for the big names
there has been a notable acceleration in the last two years.

At least seven of England's first-choice team are on more than £75,000 a week,
with some earning more than £100,000.

Using the roughest of calculations, their combined transfer values are likely
to be worth well over £200 million.

The premiums on a personal accident policy for such figures would be
astronomical even for an organisation like the FA, who had an annual turnover
of £206 million in 2004.'

---------------------------------
[23] Torres quotes
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, June 22, 2006 by ed:
Atletico Madrid president Enrique Cerezo

"Torres is an outstanding player and, I have to say, a fantastic man. We want
to keep Torres and, God willing, he will remain with us next season. For the
past four years we have stopped Torres from moving and in the end, after so
much persistence, perhaps the glass will break."

---------------------------------
[22] Official site on Rooney and Ronaldo
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, June 22, 2006 by ed:
'Wayne Rooney and Cristiano Ronaldo are among the favourites to win FIFA's
Gillette Best Young Player Award at the World Cup.

Both players have helped their countries qualify for the knock-out stages of
the tournament and have impressed along the way.

Ronaldo scored from the penalty spot in Portugal's 2-0 victory over Iran, while
Rooney has featured in England's last two matches against Trinidad & Tobago and
Sweden after making his long awaited return from a broken foot.

In total, 40 players from 21 nations, including Argentina's Lionel Messi and
Spain's Cesc Fabregas, will vie for the Gillette Best Young Player Award
winner, which will be determined by the FIFA Technical Study Group.

Fans will have an opportunity to assist in choosing the winner by making their
selections at FIFAworldcup.com before Wednesday 5 July.

A final shortlist of six players will be drawn up the following day, with the
winner being announced on Friday 7 July in Berlin.'

[21] Neil Warnock
Posted Thursday, June 22, 2006 by ed:
"I got two nice letters from Alex Ferguson and Jose Mourinho congratulating me.
I thought that was a nice touch and look forward to sharing a glass of red wine
with them"

For United books, videos, DVDs etc http://www.rednews.co.uk/ama.php?id=amazon

http://us.click.yahoo.com/XISQkA/lOaOAA/yQLSAA/GtUolB/TM