weird thought ----

>  switching her disk geometry scheme to LBA and
re-installing GRUB should

I did not see her? original psoting so I dont
know exactly what her two drive setup was.

But I thought most systems were running LBA mode by default
now adays.

Perhaps the setup had two different configurations on the
hard drives
LBA on one, something else on the other  SAY LBA on Drive B,
and XYZ on Drive A and the result is that the BIOS gets
confused
pulling out drive B now and sets drive A to be LBA mode
instead of
XYZ mode making it impossible for MBR to locate the /boot
partition
on drive a because the disk geometry definition in the rom
bios table
just chnaged from what the real drive is set up as. You can
always
load the MBR because it is always logical block 0   CTS
0-0-0 on the drive.

any case, just another whacky theory to consider.